Updates for Lakes Entrance...

Davidsch1

Updates for Lakes Entrance...

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi guys,

Looking at going offshore from Lakes Entrance tomorrow morning (early!). I would love to hook up some nice snapper - that would be really good! :thumbsup:

I heard that the fishing has really picked up in the last few days, with some nice decent snapper, gummies, and even the odd kingie being caught. Any updates on best areas for fishing? eg. pipeline, stockyard, 6 mile, or another good place?

:fishing:

Misheen

Re: Updates for Lakes Entrance...

Post by Misheen » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:39 pm

My mate went out past the oil rigs and got a few marlin.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Misheen wrote:My mate went out past the oil rigs and got a few marlin.
Is your mates surname hirs

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Misheen wrote:My mate went out past the oil rigs and got a few marlin.
Nice!! Bit far for me though in a 5.5m boat :(

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:34 pm

So went fishing this morning. Left from the skate boat ramp at 0530am this morning and headed out to 6 mile reef.

Weather was pretty ordinary, and a bit gusty at times, swell was ok, but the chop was a bit rough. Barometer low, and got drizzled on, so overall weather not to impressive. Despite that, managed to land a 34cm pinkie snapper, and a 36cm jackass morwong. Also landed a huge Port Jackson about 1.2 meters long and about 6-8kg in weight. Other than a 80cm carpet shark, no other edibles. Oh, did land a barber perch and some scud mackerels, and then on the way home, we landed a half decent flathead around the 45cm mark. Was a bit disappointed as we were hoping for a bit more of a feed, but never mind, maybe next time!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:11 pm

Still been a bit quiet, I went offshore in the tinny Tuesday. Had some Kingfish hanging around but couldn't get them interested in a lure or a live slimy mackerel. Millions of slimies around over the rocks. Hooked about 20 mainly for bait. I did bleed and gut 4 and took them home to try them. Fresh they weren't bad. Bit soft but tasted ok. I am thinking a smoker would be handy. Also saw a Mako jumping out there. Other guys I know have fished well off out in the 45=48mtr line, for a few flatties and gummies. Plenty of boats out the last couple of days but have not seen a lot being cleaned at the ramps.
In the Lake it has been a bit better. Fished twice this week, feed of flatties each day but hard work, just one every now and then, mostly 30-35cm but one at 45cm today. Been drifting with bait 5-8mtrs in reeves channel. Had a Cpl of good Taylor and a Cpl of silver trevally as well. No sign of KGW, we were slaying them this time last year.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:45 am

re-tyred wrote:Still been a bit quiet, I went offshore in the tinny Tuesday. Had some Kingfish hanging around but couldn't get them interested in a lure or a live slimy mackerel. Millions of slimies around over the rocks. Hooked about 20 mainly for bait. I did bleed and gut 4 and took them home to try them. Fresh they weren't bad. Bit soft but tasted ok. I am thinking a smoker would be handy. Also saw a Mako jumping out there. Other guys I know have fished well off out in the 45=48mtr line, for a few flatties and gummies. Plenty of boats out the last couple of days but have not seen a lot being cleaned at the ramps.
In the Lake it has been a bit better. Fished twice this week, feed of flatties each day but hard work, just one every now and then, mostly 30-35cm but one at 45cm today. Been drifting with bait 5-8mtrs in reeves channel. Had a Cpl of good Taylor and a Cpl of silver trevally as well. No sign of KGW, we were slaying them this time last year.
Kingies??? Where abouts? Oh, I'd love to catch a kingie for the fight! Are they good size? Any coordinates? :P Hoping to get out again in the next days, but not sure where I'm going to have the best luck :(

grinderz
Has liked: 17 times

Post by grinderz » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:00 pm

There were a couple of posts on facebook today about them being around the footbridge.

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:04 pm

grinderz wrote:There were a couple of posts on facebook today about them being around the footbridge.
Footbridge?? Are you meaning the one right in front of the main shops in town? (as in the bridge which crosses over to the surf club and beach)

What time of day? Baits? Lures? Are there quite a few, or just the rare occasional? :water:

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:50 am

You see them around the footbridge and jetties, plus under north arm bridge. Often get spooled when fishing for salmon and tailor. Soon as I put heavy gear on I can't find any. They are offshore around the bluff and sometimes out on the larger bits of hard bottom to the south and west of lakes. The stockyard 20nm to the west in shallow or Marlo reef 24nm east is were most reported catches are from. I am still to catch one , but don't really know what I am doing. I was sitting on a patch of them 5nm SW of lakes the other day. They were beating up a patch of slimy mackerel. managed to catch about 20 slimies with a bait jig, but couldn't get any interest in them as a live bait.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”