Metung

tomota99

Metung

Post by tomota99 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:42 pm

Went for a little roadtrip for 2 days stay at Metung last week.

Freezing as one would expect along the lakes.. took a boat out one day, but not the best conditions (flood warnings and all). Caught nothing, but managed to have a family of dolphins follow us closely for a good hour.

Most locals I spoke to said the fishing is a bit bad at the moment, so we gave the boardwalk a go with low expectations... Somehow within 1hour managed to catch 5 well sized Silver Trevally along Metung boardwalk of all places! (my first trev as well!) Just on soft plastic grubs and light gear. That was a surprise, and a relief that it wasn't a wasted roadtrip. They stuck around a little while before the school of trevally figured it out and moved on... I savoured every hook up and let them fight for it! They sure play hard for a relatively small fish :)

Will definitely be back for summer! Hopefully to find the Bream and Flathead I was searching for in the first place... As for boating locations around Metung, I was clueless and kinda took it as it came trying to find flathead locations. Better luck next time

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Metung

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Yeah mate trev's punch well above there weight thanks for sharing!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:24 pm

I second that.
Recently caught some Snotty trevally and they were small ish but gave a real good fight and most were taking line. Great fun of back of the boat with 3 or 4 people.

paulpaciocco

Post by paulpaciocco » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:58 pm

One of my favourite places mate! Usually stay at chinamans creek, directly across from there is a rockwall where I've caught some great sized flatties in very shallow water. Bream on the flats during the day and Arvo in close to the pylons pretty much everywhere. Great place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:20 am

Good trip !!

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

jasew3

Post by jasew3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Gday All
I am heading down to lakes this weekend and hopefully I can get alittle fishing in (land based) and was wondering what type of plastics to use as I have sum berkley pumpkinseed and also banana prawn 8cm in length plus mite try squidgies the sandy colour ones. was thinking of trying the estuaries around nowa nowa tyers beach area. Any help would be appreciated
cheers Jase..

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Was down there on Saturday. The local piers are all doing pretty well just after dark for Trevally and bream and the odd tailor, but most of them are pretty small. Would have landed over 50 bream with only 1 keeper, but it's great fun with non-stop bites.

Any small grub style plastic around 2" works well, lightly weighted. There's a few toadies around during the day time though, and they will nip off the tails. I only landed the one Trevally on soft plastics before a toadie bit off the tail, then I switched over to prawn. Squid will also work on Trevally and it holds better on the hook. Use smaller sized hooks and bait if you're targeting the Trevally.

You can also try micro vibes and blades. Both did well on the bream.

Dolphins everywhere at the moment too swimming all the way close to shore next to the piers. Scares the fish away for a while, but great to see.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:05 pm

eddyt wrote:Was down there on Saturday. The local piers are all doing pretty well just after dark for Trevally and bream and the odd tailor, but most of them are pretty small. Would have landed over 50 bream with only 1 keeper, but it's great fun with non-stop bites.

Any small grub style plastic around 2" works well, lightly weighted. There's a few toadies around during the day time though, and they will nip off the tails. I only landed the one Trevally on soft plastics before a toadie bit off the tail, then I switched over to prawn. Squid will also work on Trevally and it holds better on the hook. Use smaller sized hooks and bait if you're targeting the Trevally.

You can also try micro vibes and blades. Both did well on the bream.

Dolphins everywhere at the moment too swimming all the way close to shore next to the piers. Scares the fish away for a while, but great to see.
Sounds like a great weekend mate, you should chuck up a report! I'd love to see a few more reports on this forum

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”