KGW Gippsland Lakes

Paulanderson
Has liked: 67 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:12 pm

Two long days this week trying many spots between Lakes and Nungurner including the South side of Flanagans. Like all fishermen bar one I spoke to the result was zero KGW and just a couple of Salmon. The exception was a catch of 3 small KGW early on at the Landing. Water varied from very murky through to fairly clear depending on the area/tide. Bait was prawns, squid and half a packet of small clams. Even the toadies were few and far between.

Pirkz
Has liked: 232 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes - We have a winner!

Post by Pirkz » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:32 am

Despite a miserable showery day yesterday, and working on the premis that the rain was at least realtively warm - for a Pom that is - I decided late on to give the KGW another go after catching just the 1 @ 43cm , across from Raymond Island a few days earlier. So decison made,15 mins later, 5pm saw me launch from the Paynesville boat ramp without another boat in sight - and yep it was raining as expected. No commute across to Wollaston tonight and less than 10 mins later saw me anchored up in 2m over sand pretty close to one of the Red pegs over there. Fish on first cast and then a bite here and there over the next coupla hours. Lightly weighted running trace on 3kg line size 6 circle hook and a piece of Woolies prawn (thankyou Queensland) did the damage and I finished up with 4 fish with another 4 lost after brief struggles due to failing to hook up properly (I probably needed a bigger hook but was too lazy to change) . Buuuut and its a big but... the fish went 34, 44 ish 47 ish and .... yep 50 ish! A pb. Smaller one returned bigger one moved to a new postcode in my fridge. Out of interest I weighed it and it came in at 787 g or about 1 3/4lb in old money - giving up 2x 200g approx fillets. Anyway very happy with that and good to see these well fed fish moving up through the sytsem. This area shall be my new playground for a while and I should be out once again once the wind dies. With fish of this quality above I can deal with a bit of rain even in an open biminiless tinny. No doubt as the holiday season kicks in there will be the usual armada over that way fairly soon.Tight Lines all and Merry Christmas /Happy holidays - whatever your persuasion.
Cheers
Pirkz
Attachments
50cmonscales -kgw.jpg
50cmkgw.jpg
504341cm-kgw.jpg

Tackleberry
Has liked: 309 times

Post by Tackleberry » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:08 pm

Very nice
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:40 am

Some quality KGW there - the moral of the story is "persistence pays"!

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes Christmas Update.

Post by Pirkz » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:06 am

Following on from the catch above have been out n about over the last week with mixed results. Same area by the Red pegs produced just 1 @ 32 returned over two sessions and moving around a bit donuts twice over the same area. Returned to my old stomping ground i.e Wollaston yesterday and an all day session involving multiple moves and tactics saw a total of 9 KGW come aboard : 3 around 32 the rest mid range 36 to 41cm. They are there just a case of finding em. But very fickle unlike last year. Fished over sand and weed but no pattern emerged. Wasn't until late on around 3 pm that I found a productive spot - 4 fish in 5 mins and that was 2 hooked up on 2 rods twice! Very sporty albeit briefly. Water still pretty coloured. Jetty report indicated sport at Carstairs Bank on pipi in about 1.4m a few days ago.
Tight Lines
Pirkz.

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:37 am

Pic of the dirty water below Jemmys Point on an outgoing tide - unfortunately most of the dirty water hangs around just outside the entrance and much of it comes back in when the tide turns. Wednesday was another KGW failure but did manage a decent Flattie at Fraser Is - took a lot of casts though!
Attachments
Dirty Water 2.jpg

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:08 am

A bit too quiet on the board - wet n windy weather not helping either - so thought I'd post a short update on the KGW action around the Paynesville area. Been out 4 times for mixed results. No donuts but the scores read 4,3,5,6 Fickle action mostly over a bit of sand in about 1.9m over in the Wollaston area. Just a case of fish, move fish move in short 15 min bursts. After an early 6;30am start, finally connected to a nice 47cm the other day followed by another around 34 then nothing for an hour till stumps! No real need to get up early it seems. Not many other boats around when Ive been out. Still only using Woolies prawns as too much effort to motor up to the Metung area to collect mussel. Have found that overal No tidal flow = No fish! Anyway will get afloat tomorrow or may go down to Mcloughlins for some flatties.
Tight lines
Pirkz
Attachments
3 JAN 47CM.jpg

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:17 pm

Anyone have any reports on the prawns or any decent landbased spots to fish while I’m at the lakes?

Just arrived after seeing a report on FB of decent prawns caught last night near the Apex boat ramp. Went to the tackle store and the young bloke reckons the prawns in the lakes are all small as they’ve just spawned.

Regards Shaz
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Tackleberry
Has liked: 309 times

Post by Tackleberry » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:31 pm

Went for a look on Nye over boolpool and seen 3 all about 5" 6" so I will give it a miss this year .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:03 am

Ended up heading to Apex boat ramp and got a few dozen prawns but not big. Caught much larger specimens and more at Lake Tyers last year. Still good to get out and enough for a small feed! No shortage of fisherfolk on the water in the immediate vicinity. Counted at least 30 folk trying their luck. Most went home before 12am.

Will try some to get some fish tomorrow from inside the lakes.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”