Fishing and Prawning.. Lakes entrance Help..

jasew3

Fishing and Prawning.. Lakes entrance Help..

Post by jasew3 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:44 am

Gday all
Just wondering if anyone has been down to the lakes entrance/Lake tyers area over chrissie\New Year as im heading down mid week for sum fishing etc for a week or so. Wondering if anyone has had luck with either bait or lure (soft plastics what type) and lure what sort to plz. Also was keen to take kids Prawning but have really tried it yet? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated I wll be mostly land based but will be finally taking my tinny out a few times aswell..
Regards Jason. :a_goodjob: :water: :thumbsup:

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Fishing and Prawning.. Lakes entrance Help..

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:54 am

G'day Jase I haven't heard any reports from Lakes Entrance but I know the fishing in the Snowy below Orbost has been great and also Bemm River has been on fire as well and they are getting prawns in the lake there. :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

jasew3

Post by jasew3 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks Steve for ur reply if I have any luck will let u know..
cheers Jase

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Lake tyers will generally have prawns from now to about April when the colder weather sets in. Aim for a new moon or there abouts, the prawns are more active the darker it is - they head for the entrance/exits then. A good LED prawn light, some waders and a net will get you some.

Fish lake tyers with fresh prawns and/or crabs and you might get some flathead and bream.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 am

I'm not sure about lakes entrance as I haven't tried there for prawns but there was a report of good catches of very decent sized ones in one of this months fishing mags I saw last week. I think it was fishing monthly magazine. I've had a crack at eagle point and got a few out the front of the caravan park in waist deep water but they were more like bait size than eating size. Incredible as live bait when nothing else was working!

As for tyres, I'm pretty sure it's stocked with prawns and this time of year if you look over the water from the front of the pub it looks like a city of a million moving lights on the water with all the people out there hunting for prawns. I just used an LED underwater torch and a prawn net, I believe the brighter the better but mine just had 6 AA batteries. Don't go too cheap on the net either, we broke the first 2 in about 30 mins as the handles were too flimsy to push the net through the water.

I've heard that new moon is the best time for them, I'm not sure if this is because the prawns like the dark or just because it's easier to see them with your torch light not competing with the moon light. You do want a windless night though so there are no ripples on the water surface as that makes it hard to see down to the bottom.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 am

AE092 wrote:Lake tyers will generally have prawns from now to about April when the colder weather sets in. Aim for a new moon or there abouts, the prawns are more active the darker it is - they head for the entrance/exits then. A good LED prawn light, some waders and a net will get you some.

Fish lake tyers with fresh prawns and/or crabs and you might get some flathead and bream.
its worth fishing.i went there last year.

the fishing was awesome and the prawns good eating
Attachments
20160130_120508.jpg
20160130_120435.jpg

jasew3

Post by jasew3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks all for ur info regarding Lakes fishing and prawning im heading down there tomorrow so hopefully I catch a few decent ones will let u know if I have any luck. cheers Jase

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:13 am

jasew3 wrote:Thanks all for ur info regarding Lakes fishing and prawning im heading down there tomorrow so hopefully I catch a few decent ones will let u know if I have any luck. cheers Jase
Will be off to do the same for a few days tomorrow, just wondering how you went? Planning on taking the yak with me as well.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:07 pm

I was at Tyers week up to xmas. the big crabs were to be found on the opposite side of the entrance just in front of the dunes in the lake.

Surf was full of them nicking any baits cast out.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Was there before Xmas, they were also nipping at feet as well!

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”