Portsea pier on a falling tide?

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Portsea pier on a falling tide?

Post by ChrisD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Went to Portsea today and had a little over an hour of fishing. The Pier was fairly quiet with only half a dozen fishers on it.
I took one rod to throw squid jigs....and couldn't help myself....still had a baited rod as well.
And of course, the bait of choice ...... compost worms.....
Well the squid jig had a few follows by some small squid, but I couldn't interest any in striking. The upside was no one else was getting anything either, so I wasn't too disappointing. Only lost one jig.....the metal eye broke, been a long time since i used it and must have rusted through, and it dropped through the metal grate...it is still sitting there on one of the beams.
The bait was getting demolished continually, however I couldn't hook up. I kept the bait moving, near the pier and further out.....inside side of the pier.
In the end I managed two fish, no idea what they are....photo below. I am sure the slat fishers will know what they were.
Nasty bitey teeth on them.
Anyway - two fish caught, which was better then my recent Yarra trips, so a worthwhile trip in my books.
Attachments
51769695_2300438933558251_7200146933803909120_n.jpg

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:19 pm

It's a wrasse...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 pm

ChrisD wrote:Went to Portsea today and had a little over an hour of fishing. The Pier was fairly quiet with only half a dozen fishers on it.
I took one rod to throw squid jigs....and couldn't help myself....still had a baited rod as well.
And of course, the bait of choice ...... compost worms.....
Well the squid jig had a few follows by some small squid, but I couldn't interest any in striking. The upside was no one else was getting anything either, so I wasn't too disappointing. Only lost one jig.....the metal eye broke, been a long time since i used it and must have rusted through, and it dropped through the metal grate...it is still sitting there on one of the beams.
The bait was getting demolished continually, however I couldn't hook up. I kept the bait moving, near the pier and further out.....inside side of the pier.
In the end I managed two fish, no idea what they are....photo below. I am sure the slat fishers will know what they were.
Nasty bitey teeth on them.
Anyway - two fish caught, which was better then my recent Yarra trips, so a worthwhile trip in my books.
Nice report and pics mate. Yea those are wrasse :)

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:31 pm

ahhh excellent, at least I know what it is now.
Still better than nothing.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:12 pm

ChrisD wrote:ahhh excellent, at least I know what it is now.
Still better than nothing.
I've seen people use wrasse as bait to catch bigger squids.
Next time you see squids following (but no take), try smaller jig and natural colour, gentler twitch and longer pause, also cast to the current, let the current drift the squid jig. Usually can trigger a take.

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”