Bait hunting

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Bait hunting

Post by purple5ive » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Thanks for that.
Last few times I've found them. They have been sitting deep. No birds no bust ups nothing. Just schools of them sitting deep. A lure casted into them made them scatter. Slugs , even baited jigheads never got a sniff Ive seen salmon and then I've seen these salmon. Only way to get a few was to troll paddles tails far back from the boat and even then it was few and far in between.
I was wondering maybe if they were being picky on the day or just leader shy etc etc etc.. we still got them but was hard work for salmon.
This has happened a few times now. Very unusual for salmon...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:35 pm

purple5ive wrote:Thanks for that.
Last few times I've found them. They have been sitting deep. No birds no bust ups nothing. Just schools of them sitting deep. A lure casted into them made them scatter. Slugs , even baited jigheads never got a sniff Ive seen salmon and then I've seen these salmon. Only way to get a few was to troll paddles tails far back from the boat and even then it was few and far in between.
I was wondering maybe if they were being picky on the day or just leader shy etc etc etc.. we still got them but was hard work for salmon.
This has happened a few times now. Very unusual for salmon...
Did you land one? You know your fish pretty well so i'm assuming they were actually salmon. Have wasted so much energy trying to sight cast 'salmon' only to figure out they were mullet or herring or something. Happens all the time at one of the squid spots I frequent, school of 10ish fish swim past, madly clip on a slug and have them just ignore it all together only to figure out it was pike on the return trip.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:43 pm

Nah salmon 100%
landed them but out of maybe 1000 fish (ok maybe 400 or so ) i could see we landed 7 between 3 people hahahah. Was the same story next few times as well. There's always a few silly ones that get greedy..
All the time I had 14lb leader on . Not that it would matter but I was wondering if going down in size maybe triggered them to take a plastic..
All were 40cm plus sizes
All they did was slowly swim in circles or up and down the area I was in they didnt stray . Didnt swim fast no bustup. Nothing. Was weird for salmon..
I wasnt the only one on them either the were kayaks and other boats all trying with similar outcomes to me..

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:40 pm

purple5ive wrote:Nah salmon 100%
landed them but out of maybe 1000 fish (ok maybe 400 or so ) i could see we landed 7 between 3 people hahahah. Was the same story next few times as well. There's always a few silly ones that get greedy..
All the time I had 14lb leader on . Not that it would matter but I was wondering if going down in size maybe triggered them to take a plastic..
All were 40cm plus sizes
All they did was slowly swim in circles or up and down the area I was in they didnt stray . Didnt swim fast no bustup. Nothing. Was weird for salmon..
I wasnt the only one on them either the were kayaks and other boats all trying with similar outcomes to me..

That's *really* weird. I have no idea. I've watched this kind of thing happen with Kingfish a few times but never seen that happen with salmon.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:03 pm

yeah dunno mate, they must have been under a spell or something hahahah..
the only way you knew the salmon were there was from the sounder, or if the water was shallow and clear you could see them almost on the bottom. thats it...
anyway ill downsize leaders and see what happens, if anything it will be a learning curve for my cousins to learn to angle on light lines..

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:10 pm

DougieK wrote:
Rob1 wrote:Cheers bud. There goes the live bait idea.
Also Dezza 4lb is completely unreasonable for salmon. I'm literally casting 60lb at the moment (cos my salmon reel exploded and i'm spinning with a 10k longtail setup) and get just as many hits as the guys next to me.
Using 4lb mainline but an 8lb trace as they wear through the lighter one. These fish get hammered in gin clear water so they are very wary most of the time. I’m getting much better hook up rates on the light gear as they seem less suspicious. I’ve started tying some flies up and am going to give them a crack with the trout gear.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:15 pm

purple5ive wrote:4lb is asking for trouble on decent salmon man, but its the best way to learn to fish light line class. good luck on the next round, id try 6lb maybe first, should be doable on that if you have a good rod and smooth drag

Probably would have been the same result with 10lb line as it was a big bit of weed.

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”