Fishing Report South PPB

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
PhilN

Fishing Report South PPB

Post by PhilN » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Set the alarm for 3am on Monday to catch the early morning slack and head offshore. Checked the weather and it was still blowing pretty hard so went back to sleep. Got up at Gentleman's hours and it's still 25k plus so a quick drive down to the bay - didn't look too bad. Missed the chance to go offshore but what they hey - had some theories on flood tide kingy locations inside that I had always wanted to test out (All of which proved wrong on the day), and a notch in the wind is forecasted for around slack.
Rigged up and off for the long drive down to Sorrento. Down there by 10 am (thankfully everyone still seemed asleep - no road or ramp traffic).
One squid instantly on the sleeper and no more in 3 drifts (Stubbornly refused to changed jig colour...:-) I blame the full moon....

Down towards the RIP (A place I try to avoid but seem to be spending a bit of time lately).Water is clearish on the last of the run in. It's pretty much empty except for a couple of the charter boys way over to the side - I'm wondering what the hell they are doing over there (assume bait fishing - mental note - check out that spot later -the truth becomes clearer later....)

After my flood tide Kingy locations prove wrong on the day. I reluctantly go to a couple of well known locations. Marking schools of fish hanging off the edges (20m). Drop the micro-jig and bang - light jig rod loads up...been a season since this feeling and it felt great. Lazy - went for the jig grab and lost it....Grabbed the net and dropped the jig - bang - on again. Bugger - Salmon - not big by RIP standards (3lb, 50 cm) but nice to have the light jig rod load up. Grabbed the broomstick and dropped some bigger jigs for naught.
Salmon.JPG
Hung around too late in the ebb to see if the Salmon would fire up but they didn't. Did a lot of sounding around but not much about (it was a very weak tide)

I've been trying these new Chasebait Ultimate Squid's lately. Look great in the pool! Got one blue throat wrasse on it (which isn't saying much) -anyone had any luck on them?

Squid.JPG
As for the charter boys - they are on the dock when I get back. Boat full of Wrasse. Customer very happy! All becomes clear.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Fishing Report South PPB

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Nice salmon.bugger on the kings

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Nice report. Hopefully you get onto the kings next time :thumbsup:

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 pm

PhilN wrote:Set the alarm for 3am on Monday to catch the early morning slack and head offshore. Checked the weather and it was still blowing pretty hard so went back to sleep. Got up at Gentleman's hours and it's still 25k plus so a quick drive down to the bay - didn't look too bad. Missed the chance to go offshore but what they hey - had some theories on flood tide kingy locations inside that I had always wanted to test out (All of which proved wrong on the day), and a notch in the wind is forecasted for around slack.
Rigged up and off for the long drive down to Sorrento. Down there by 10 am (thankfully everyone still seemed asleep - no road or ramp traffic).
One squid instantly on the sleeper and no more in 3 drifts (Stubbornly refused to changed jig colour...:-) I blame the full moon....

Down towards the RIP (A place I try to avoid but seem to be spending a bit of time lately).Water is clearish on the last of the run in. It's pretty much empty except for a couple of the charter boys way over to the side - I'm wondering what the hell they are doing over there (assume bait fishing - mental note - check out that spot later -the truth becomes clearer later....)

After my flood tide Kingy locations prove wrong on the day. I reluctantly go to a couple of well known locations. Marking schools of fish hanging off the edges (20m). Drop the micro-jig and bang - light jig rod loads up...been a season since this feeling and it felt great. Lazy - went for the jig grab and lost it....Grabbed the net and dropped the jig - bang - on again. Bugger - Salmon - not big by RIP standards (3lb, 50 cm) but nice to have the light jig rod load up. Grabbed the broomstick and dropped some bigger jigs for naught.
Salmon.JPG
Hung around too late in the ebb to see if the Salmon would fire up but they didn't. Did a lot of sounding around but not much about (it was a very weak tide)

I've been trying these new Chasebait Ultimate Squid's lately. Look great in the pool! Got one blue throat wrasse on it (which isn't saying much) -anyone had any luck on them?

Squid.JPG
As for the charter boys - they are on the dock when I get back. Boat full of Wrasse. Customer very happy! All becomes clear.
Bad luck on the Kings, in regards to those Chasebait squid you are meant to fish them with a jighead on, from what I have heard their 2 long candles tend to get bitten off alot. They are very expensive and supposed to catch snapper, but I wouldn't hold my breath, my mate has tried them on the his last 5 trips and hasn't caught anything on them

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi Cantcatchem,

Appreciate the comment re jig heads. No hard and fast rules on plastics. What's not shown on this rig is that's it's connected to a "poor man's downrigger" and I use it for slow trawling/ drifting. Swims fantastic - not tested yet where I know there are Kingies about.
Still need to test them with a jig head. Will persevere for a bit longer

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”