Quick session out from Sorrento

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Quick session out from Sorrento

Post by skronkman » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Headed out yesterday just because the conditions were so good. Only out for about 4 hours with a mate. Got about 5 good sized squid on the other side of the channel opposite Blairgowrie marina but had them in a catch bag that went through the prop when I forgot to bring it onboard before motoring away, so they all dissapeared. Got 2 more after that but was over it by then. Still plenty of good sized squid around at the moment.

Then we came across a salmon school on the sounder and hit em up first with 3m+ hard body diving lures, got a few and lots of follows but we just couldn't get down deep enough to them, they were siting 6-12m. Changed over to those cheap jigs you can buy at Kmart and sat on top of the school. Drop the jig down to the bottom, bounce, bounce, and then jig to the surface. Got a fish on every drop. Must have caught about 40 between us but we only kept 6 that were too badly hooked to survive a release attempt. We also hooked into 4 really nice, fat mackerel that we kept.

Tonight's dinner was Thai fish cakes made from the squid and salmon. As well as a Japanese dish called Saba nitsuke (Saba is Japanese for mackerel) which involves boiling down a kind of teriyaki sauce and then stewing the mackerel fillets in it. It's a delicious way to eat it with rice and probably very different to how many people in Australia have eaten fish. I've attached the recipe link for anyone that wants to try it.

Saba nitsuke recipe. https://kanakoskitchen.com/2010/07/19/saba-nitsuke/

Cheers.

skronkman

Re: Quick session out from Sorrento

Post by skronkman » Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 pm

That's the Saba nitsuke on the plate at top right and Thai fish cakes on the top left. Rice, kimchi and dipping sauce. Was a pleasant change to batter or crumbs and a good use for oily fish that would often be relagated to bait!
Attachments
IMG_0551.JPG

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Thu May 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Most impressive presentation skronkman. Out of interest is your name inspired by the skronk jazz stylings of tom waits?

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Thu May 11, 2017 11:27 pm

deathray wrote:Most impressive presentation skronkman. Out of interest is your name inspired by the skronk jazz stylings of tom waits?
Close. Not Tom Waits, but by the protopunk/jazz style in general yeah.

“Skronk", Basically referring to any music with guitars (or these days sax, synth or any technology that comes to hand) that sounds like sheet metal being attacked alternately with dentist’s drills and chainsaws, its strength and resilience lies in how the word embodies an admission of language’s failure. “What does it sound like?” “Well, it’s got these crazy guitars and they just go, ‘SKRONK!’ ” Skronk isn’t a genre, it isn’t a pigeonhole, it is not a thing you are: It is a thing you do.

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Thu May 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Cheers mate. I have most commonly heard the term applied to bloodloss, a most awesome pregrunge protopunk/ postpunk/ noise/ garage/ jazz band.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Awesome tucker you cooked up there

Often when fishing in the goulburn I forget to pull up my shrimp nets.....pain in the ass if it get chopped up

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Nice report and catch! Great looking dinner :thumbsup:

bilby

Post by bilby » Fri May 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Hang on ... did someone say postpunk? It never occurred to me that there might be a secret hardcore / alternative music society hidden within the ranks of the fishing victoria forum members. I'll be good and stay on topic, though ... well done on the salmon and makerel, skronkman! How big were they, by the way (the slimy mackerel, I mean)?

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat May 13, 2017 2:05 pm

The slimies were about 10% of the catch in the school and seemed to prefer the larger jigs than the salmon (or the salmon were less interested in them). Smallest was about 35cm largest was probably about 42cm and they were fat, producing nice thick fillets.

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Interestingly the mackerel seemed to be at the bottom of the school. We didn't catch any on the hard bodies or slugs that seemed to pick up a few salmon from the top. Getting to the bottom and bouncing off the sand a few times was were we found them. Would be a great fun target on a microjig setup I reckon.

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”