Sorrento Pier 8/04/2016

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
Stevieboy

Re: Sorrento Pier 8/04/2016

Post by Stevieboy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:32 pm

No I didn't bleed it when I caught it. I did take it straight home to clean/gut it though... Seems like it should taste amazing since I didn't bleed it.. Wasn't aware you needed to do it straight away oops!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:57 pm

Stevieboy wrote:No I didn't bleed it when I caught it. I did take it straight home to clean/gut it though... Seems like it should taste amazing since I didn't bleed it.. Wasn't aware you needed to do it straight away oops!
Well if I'm taking them home for a feed I usually do it straight away mate :)
An old recipe I used to use was fillet them and then in a hot pan a bit of oil and butter and the. Sprinkle some garlic salt over them :) I think that's what it was. Been awhile since I tried that method lol

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Cheers mate as I said wasn't aware to bleed them. This week alone I've caught a whiting, cuttlefish and the salmon for the first time ever :)
Going out tonight and possibly tomorrow morning.. Well and truly got the bug

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:25 pm

Stevieboy wrote:Cheers mate as I said wasn't aware to bleed them. This week alone I've caught a whiting, cuttlefish and the salmon for the first time ever :)
Going out tonight and possibly tomorrow morning.. Well and truly got the bug
Wow you really have caught the bug Mate lol
Good luck and let us know how you go :thumbsup:

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Stevieboy wrote:No I didn't bleed it when I caught it. I did take it straight home to clean/gut it though... Seems like it should taste amazing since I didn't bleed it.. Wasn't aware you needed to do it straight away oops!
If you didn't bleed it but cleaned it etc fill the gutted area with spring onions fresher the better so it's stronger and helps get rid of the blood taste in the flesh just put a few spring onion stalks in with some lemon and dill and slice a few lines on the fish wrap it up in baking paper then bake for a good 30mins or so. Once ready open up you can drain the juice in a saucepan with butter to make a sauce then drizzle over fish.

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:32 am

Cheers Skuxliss, I'll definitely give it ago thanks for the tip! Went out last night and yesterday morning for a fish. Morning went to Blairgowrie Pier was one spot away from the end. Fished from 6am-9am for a total of 3 banjo sharks, 1 Tommy ruff and 2 squid. Definitely not much going on. Went out last night for an hour at 6pm-7pm at Sorrento Pier. Ended up with a decent size octopus so that was a first and that was it no squid :(.
If it's not raining I'll be out again tonight hoping for some squid.

Cheers Steve.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 am

You are going regularly so I'm sure you will get onto a good bag of squid soon mate :)

Stevieboy

Post by Stevieboy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:56 am

Yeah, best advice I was given is the fish aren't gonna catch themselves. The more time you spend fishing the better the chance of catching fish you have :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:00 am

Stevieboy wrote:Yeah, best advice I was given is the fish aren't gonna catch themselves. The more time you spend fishing the better the chance of catching fish you have :)
That's right mate. Years ago when I first started fishing if I remember correctly I had 7 or 8 doughnuts in a row but I guy I met told me to keep persisting with his particular spot and sure enough it paid off :) it's hard to keep motivated though after so many doughnuts but if you keep going and don't give up, you will definitely catch fish.

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:33 am

Did you catch the salmon on lure? (sorry if you've advised) and the octopus goes well in a stew

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”