peninsula trip

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
nickfish

peninsula trip

Post by nickfish » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi all hope you've all had a great start to the new years, tomorrow me an a couple mates are going up towards blargowie way and fishing pretty much all day and night and the next day heading up on a boat. i was after some tips we want to target kgw,squid, gummie shark,flathead and anything else that decides to swim past. I have had recent luck fishing BG on one trip ended up with 17 legal kgw and 7 squid so i know what im doing for them two because there normally my target species but as for the gummys, flathead and maybe even salmon im a bit of a novice and would greatly appreciate some tips. i was thinking berly up at BG all morning and day and go for whitting and squid like i did last time, then after dark move to sorento or portsea and cast out some surf rods chum up and go for pinkes and gummies. so with all of that said any help would be greatly appreciated even which side of the pier to fish at,
thanks all for reading happy new year and happy fishing as well :thumbsup:

dezza68

Re: peninsula trip

Post by dezza68 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:26 pm

I've fished Portsea a fair bit but not seen any snapper caught there. Normally a procession of rays and rubbish sharks on the bottom, supposed to be some whiting though. That said its a good place for big squid.
Cast, catch and put it back

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:52 pm

dezza68 wrote:I've fished Portsea a fair bit but not seen any snapper caught there. Normally a procession of rays and rubbish sharks on the bottom, supposed to be some whiting though. That said its a good place for big squid.
thanks heaps man glad to know im not wasting my time targeting gummies and snapper there

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:14 pm

The back beaches along there should produce gummies. Maybe do some squidding during the day off one of the jetties and then take your squid to the back beaches and use them as gummy bait. The wind might decide your fishing activities for you though, it's tipped to be pretty strong. If it ends up being a south easterly then the rocks at Mt Martha near Hearn Rd might be the easiest place to fish where you're actually a chance of catching something.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:22 pm

4liters wrote:The back beaches along there should produce gummies. Maybe do some squidding during the day off one of the jetties and then take your squid to the back beaches and use them as gummy bait. The wind might decide your fishing activities for you though, it's tipped to be pretty strong. If it ends up being a south easterly then the rocks at Mt Martha near Hearn Rd might be the easiest place to fish where you're actually a chance of catching something.
thanks a lot man thanks to you ill be also packing the surf rods as well haha. should i cast out far on the beaches ive only once fished for gummies and that was of rosebud pier and i caught one so i was also wondering if i had beginners luck or if there not as rare as i thought.
again thanks heaps means a lot

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:32 pm

If you hit up a beach try and find a gutter or a rip to cast into, fish like that sort of structure so it'll work better than just flinging baits as far as you can from some random spot.

But the reason I mentioned the wind is that according to the forecast you could have a gale blowing across those beaches which will make fishing frustrating. Check the forecast before you leave and make plans accordingly: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:38 pm

4liters wrote:If you hit up a beach try and find a gutter or a rip to cast into, fish like that sort of structure so it'll work better than just flinging baits as far as you can from some random spot.

But the reason I mentioned the wind is that according to the forecast you could have a gale blowing across those beaches which will make fishing frustrating. Check the forecast before you leave and make plans accordingly: http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/

yeah thanks for that me and my mates are looking on going tuesday and wenesday instead of tomorrow as its the only days we can and it looks a little better weather

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”