On leaders ...

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: On leaders ...

Post by hornet » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am

I'll buck the trend here I've always used 20lb mono straight from reel to jig or jag spike and caught them, their not that shy and still come back for the jig if they drop off whilst being lifted..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:04 am

Mattblack wrote:Excuse my ignorance gentlemen...but why do you need to use a leader with squid jigs?
Shock absorption, abrasion resistance, presentation of the jig and low vis.

Leaders for squid are also longer than what you use for Bream, Salmon, Flathead ect to further assist with shock absoption
Last edited by frozenpod on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:10 am

frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Excuse my ignorance gentlemen...but why do you need to use a leader with squid jigs?
Shock absorption, presentation of the jig and low vis.

Leaders for squid are also longer than what you use for Bream, Salmon, Flathead ect to further assist with shock absoption
Absolutely respect what you're saying (as you out fish me 10 fold by the looks of it)...I understand if you're using braid then you'd need a leader for low visibility, but surely the rod would take the shock absorption before the leader? (ps. I think Im the only person on here that prefers mono over braid for most of my rods...mono on my squid rod without a leader seems to work ok for me, but I'm really interested to hear what everyone else is doing...great post!)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am

You would be surprised how much difference the leader can make. I have tried straight braid and you end up with a lot more lost fish.

Typically for squid the leader will be 2m in length.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 am

Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Shock absorption, presentation of the jig and low vis.

Absolutely respect what you're saying (as you out fish me 10 fold by the looks of it)...I understand if you're using braid then you'd need a leader for low visibility, but surely the rod would take the shock absorption before the leader? (ps. I think Im the only person on here that prefers mono over braid for most of my rods...mono on my squid rod without a leader seems to work ok for me, but I'm really interested to hear what everyone else is doing...great post!)
leader is quite important imo, the rod doesnt do as much, but certainly does take up some stretch when loaded up. i have a rod length or more on a 8 foot 3 rod for squid
in saying that i have witnessed squid being caught on braid tied directly to the jig
and have also noticed rui fishing super short leader and still catching big squid, only because he cbf tying on a new leader
frozenpod wrote:You would be surprised how much difference the leader can make. I have tried straight braid and you end up with a lot more lost fish.

Typically for squid the leader will be 2m in length.
double that for bream :-D

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:58 pm

i fish landbased so i use 10lb braid and a long 10lb fluro leader why 10lb braid for distance why fluro leader cause it makes sense if there got outstanding vision every little percent helps

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't think that 2M of leader will give u that much shock absorbtion. I've always tied on leader by habit anywhere between 10-20lb depending on terrain. But if Squid aren't that leader shy no reason to not try without leader (squid generally won't run you around structure therefore the wear resistance of leader is not as important either). The down side of Braid straight through is braid gets into every nook and cranny, it may get tangled in the crown or lure clips if you use them.
Definitely wouldn't use 3lb leader for squidding, U will cast off a few jigs let alone loosing them to
snags.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 pm

20lb braid mainline.
16-20lb flouro or mono for leader, whichever comes to hand first. Short leader, with the f2f outside of the end eye. I'm not a great squid fisho, but it works for me, and I can usually rip jigs out of snags.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:13 pm

CarlG wrote:20lb braid mainline.
16-20lb flouro or mono for leader, whichever comes to hand first. Short leader, with the f2f outside of the end eye. I'm not a great squid fisho, but it works for me, and I can usually rip jigs out of snags.

Same for me, only use about 60 to 80cm of leader. Rarely lose squid, just take your time and use the rod to absorb any lunges. Though I usually don't bother as the Emeraldas is pretty forgiving with the squid.

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:41 am

Similar set up to Bretts, I use about 50-60cm of 10lb leader and seldom lose squid when hooked. Rod is an 8'3 Daiwa Emeraldas interline.

Return to “Squid Fishing”