Squid bags and throw backs

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Squid bags and throw backs

Post by 4liters » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:32 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Labido wrote:Yes, 10 is more than enough, agreed.
Just quering the technical aspect of how fisheries perceive bag limits.

With regards to throwing them back in.
A older gentleman told me they are damaged by rhe jigs after being caught and is illegal to throw them back in.
Ive seen plenty of fishing shows where the fisherman catches and releases squid of all sizes.
Also this should help you out
Bag limit: The maximum number of a particular type of fish that a person may take on any one day.

Possession limit: The maximum number of a particular type of fish that a person may possess at any time while in, on or next to Victorian waters. However, for abalone, possession limits apply in all parts of Victoria.

E.g. David is holidaying at a caravan park for the long weekend. He has 12 bream in his possession in his caravan from fishing for three days. David can have more than the possession limit for bream (which is 10), because he can demonstrate that he has been in residence at the caravan park for several days.
This makes no sense. Why would the possession limit be waived because he's been in the one spot for a few days? I could understand if they'd said he could have more than the bag limit but isn't the possession limit fixed?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:34 pm

You can take multiple bags of fishing over multiple days however the onus is on the angler to divide his catch in marked bags or some other method and it needs to be genuine multi day trips not launched at 6pm and retrieved at 6am with 2 bag limits.

Technically going out in the evening and then again after midnight you are fine. It’s morally a bit sketchy to retrieve and launch again solely for the purpose of doubling your bag. But legally it’s defensible

Labido

Post by Labido » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 pm

When i say absurd, I am referring to entering your premises. I wouldnt allow cops into my premises, let alone fisheries.
I understand the bag limits, i wasnt referring to that when i said absurd.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:47 pm

I like the rule. Ive been in a caravan park before where ive seen boats go out at 6am... bag out in a few hours and do another trip just before dusk to target the same species.
This was when I was a kid before all you keyboard heroes ask why I didnt ring up and dob them in.

Ive seen it happen on bream at the tambo, pinkies at san Remo and whiting at St Leonards. It must happen alot which is why the rule is a good 1.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Labido wrote:When i say absurd, I am referring to entering your premises. I wouldnt allow cops into my premises, let alone fisheries.
I guess they are equating it to having been out, taken bag them home putting them in the freezer then next day is another trip. But being a caravan they are taking home with them. Ie they are not thinking absolute possession limits, but rather possession limits adjacent to water. Possession limit next to water is normally, I guess, to avoid you bagging out, bringing them ashore and heading out again then saying you caught them yesterday to get around daily limit. The exception stands as long as you can validate claim of not being one days catch. Each days catch i ssupposed to be seperated and dated.

How many folks do you reckon get their bag, use half for bait same trip, then top up limit again before heading in?

Where you have to be careful is if you take some out with you as bait, then catch 10 fresh ones. make sure you dump the home brought bait ones or you will be over possession limit

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm

You can easyily release squid in the water or quickly net them and then dehook them and release

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:01 pm

Labido wrote:When i say absurd, I am referring to entering your premises. I wouldnt allow cops into my premises, let alone fisheries.

You can't stop them, if they believe or have evidence of you committing an offence.

Slightly offtopic, but I take it you don't hold a shooters licence.

tropicalfisher

Post by tropicalfisher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 am

Keep in mind that squid don't survive very well out of water. If you're going to release it alive, get it back as quickly as you can.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 am

makes me wonder why they havent raised the catch limit...yes 10 is enough...but for a species that has only a 12month life span and there is a stupid amount of them in the water...it would make sense to up it to say 15 perhaps?

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:15 am

repspec wrote:makes me wonder why they havent raised the catch limit...yes 10 is enough...but for a species that has only a 12month life span and there is a stupid amount of them in the water...it would make sense to up it to say 15 perhaps?
nah, i think 10 should be max.

Return to “Squid Fishing”