Squid Help

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Walker2795

Squid Help

Post by Walker2795 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Hey guys,

I have just moved to Hampton, right across from the beach on Beach Road, from Sydney. Wanted to ask if anyone has any experience fishing along Hampton Beach, up to Sandringham Breakwater, I would like to fish this area Landbased as I dont have a boat. I see lots of broken weed beds along the beach and thought to myself surely there would have to be squid along the beach especially near the rock groynes. I have read heaps about those groynes on this forum and that people catch quite a few snapper off them. I want to catch squid first so that I have nice fresh bait to try and target a snapper or two. Could anyone share their experiences about this area? specifically if anyone has caught any squid.

Thanks in advance guys!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Squid Help

Post by bowl » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Middle Brighton pier on the bend.offshore wind

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 am

Try as close to Ricketts Point as you can without going into the marine sanctuary (start at Black rock boat ramp and work your way down along the beach on a high tide)

Walker2795

Post by Walker2795 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks guys! I’ll give them a try !

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 am

Brighton pier, black rock pier and Beaumaris pier caught squid from all of them. Good luck :thumbsup:

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:48 am

Walker2795 wrote:Hey guys,

I have just moved to Hampton, right across from the beach on Beach Road, from Sydney. Wanted to ask if anyone has any experience fishing along Hampton Beach, up to Sandringham Breakwater, I would like to fish this area Landbased as I dont have a boat. I see lots of broken weed beds along the beach and thought to myself surely there would have to be squid along the beach especially near the rock groynes. I have read heaps about those groynes on this forum and that people catch quite a few snapper off them. I want to catch squid first so that I have nice fresh bait to try and target a snapper or two. Could anyone share their experiences about this area? specifically if anyone has caught any squid.

Thanks in advance guys!
Be careful when fishing the groynes there are heaps of ways to loose your jigs

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:00 am

I use to do alright at the very end of the rock groyne that's at the end of Orlando St. From 40 deg left to right. As cantcatchem mentions, it's very snaggy and you will lose jigs

Walker2795

Post by Walker2795 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks so much guys! Was more thinking of just using a bait spike around the rock groynes that will reduce the chance of losing jigs.

Walker2795

Post by Walker2795 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 am

Lightningx wrote:Brighton pier, black rock pier and Beaumaris pier caught squid from all of them. Good luck :thumbsup:
I went to Blackrock pier tonight for a couple hours.. spotted a few squid but none of them would touch a jig.. where do you fish the pier? Up the end casting back towards the beach?

Thanks

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 am

Walker2795 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Brighton pier, black rock pier and Beaumaris pier caught squid from all of them. Good luck :thumbsup:
I went to Blackrock pier tonight for a couple hours.. spotted a few squid but none of them would touch a jig.. where do you fish the pier? Up the end casting back towards the beach?

Thanks
I caught a few off Black Rock yesterday (midday) from the boat....they enjoyed my white sephia 3.0 jig and were in about 4 mts of water....my deckie tried a few different colours and didn't get a touch

Return to “Squid Fishing”