Double bag of squiddies

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Double bag of squiddies

Post by purple5ive » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 am

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Quick report.
Headed out from mornington to chase some snapper/pinkies.
We looked everywhere for the lil sh*ts but all we got were undersized or just legal flathead.
Even the punkies were hiding. Sounder was absolutely empty.
Gave up and went for squid.
Bagged in an hour wirth my dad getting his first ever squid and another 4 later on.and we even Released about 5 squid after bagging. We left them biting
They were super agro and we're hitting the jigs hard. Many times i felt them running off with the jigs and struck at them to hook them.
Sephia marble and rui marble did the damage.
All were normal mornington sized squid.
Didn't get pics of tally. But here's some im just eating :-D

Smiley. You better get your @r$e into gear :tongue:

Ps. Forgot to mention while we were at fishies beach noticed a sail boat in distress. Was quite windy and he was attempting to row back to shore. Which i thought was a bit odd. Went and checked him out and sure enough the sail had broken and he was struggling being blown away from land. Towed him back him. And that was my good deed for the day.

2017-12-17 20.35.48.jpg
Good report mate.
I lost my job so works a bit speratic atm (getting every second night instead of consecutive nites) and i have to take all the work i can cos probably slow down in jan.so ill fish more then lol
Plus have a marlin trip in march and you be proud lol going to try catch a marlin on a lure lol.

I sent you a message about fishing boxing day. Thats my next day out lol.
Thort you mite tag along for a comp day. I was thinking going mornington but if you cant find them there i try my normal spot lol or try down near flinders.

Squid rings sure look good.
Im going to do a flake, flathead, squid and snapper cook up for my dads birthday on 27th so should look as good as yours
sorry about your job smiley, hopefully something permanent comes up soon.
and good luck on those marlin, hope you get yourself a big boy
the fish were at mornington, but supposedly out deep 20m plus, i didnt go that far out
ill let you know about Australia day, i must have missed that message totally, just seen it after you mentioned it here..
im sure your seafood fest will be a lot better than my concotion :a_goodjob:
and yeah numbers or size i dont really care, let fv be the judge hahaha

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:20 am

Raulfc7 wrote:Well done purp on your good deed :a_goodjob: and nice feed
Thanks champ. :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:10 pm

purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
We looked everywhere for the lil sh*ts but all we got were undersized or just legal flathead.
Bagged in an hour wirth my dad getting his first ever squid and another 4 later on.and we even Released about 5 squid after bagging. We left them biting
They were super agro and we're hitting the jigs hard. Many times i felt them running off with the jigs and struck at them to hook them.

Ps. Forgot to mention while we were at fishies beach noticed a sail boat in distress. Was quite windy and he was attempting to row back to shore. Which i thought was a bit odd. Went and checked him out and sure enough the sail had broken and he was struggling being blown away from land. Towed him back him. And that was my good deed for the day.

2017-12-17 20.35.48.jpg
Good report mate.
I lost my job so works a bit speratic atm (getting every second night instead of consecutive nites) and i have to take all the work i can cos probably slow down in jan.so ill fish more then lol
Plus have a marlin trip in march and you be proud lol going to try catch a marlin on a lure lol.

Thort you mite tag along for a comp day. I was thinking going mornington but if you cant find them there i try my normal spot lol or try down near flinders.

Im going to do a flake, flathead, squid and snapper cook up for my dads birthday on 27th so should look as good as yours
the fish were at mornington, but supposedly out deep 20m plus, i didnt go that far out
ill let you know about Australia day, i must have missed that message totally, just seen it after you mentioned it here..
thanks that was a good job in the way of duties but frustrating, but wasnt happy, they say they want best practice and ensure we follow policies but when i reported someone for breaching 5 policies in 15 mins when i arrived early rid of me.
looks like they just want to bury there heads and denie it ever happening.
now i work the 2 agency jobs and much happier but work just isnt as regular but much less stressful and no one breaches policy's. lol

i got you message, will reply later.
we will see, been while since i did a cook up.
ok ill put the pics up and the public can decide lol

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm

nice catch steve its been awhile since ive been chasing squid must make the effort as with cooking coles sell a tandaco brand salt and pepper coating mix give that a go its awesome

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:46 pm

purple5ive wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:I got 4 calamari on the weekend and my mrs was at work so it was up to me to try make the marinades...I tried some calarami on the bbq with a sweet chilli sauce marinade on them. Cooked for about 2 mins on the hottest plate i could get and was pleasantly suprised.

Also tried some in a soy sauce marinade but found it too strong.

Next time il wait for her to get home. Shes greek after all and knows how to prepare some decent tucker
yeah i suck at cooking 100%, wife isnt any better tbh :rofl: but i eat whatever she cooks, beggars cant be chooser right..
i have to work on my squid cooking.
Mate, I reckon those rings look awesome, would eat them any day of the week! making me hungry

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 pm

dazz999 wrote:nice catch steve its been awhile since ive been chasing squid must make the effort as with cooking coles sell a tandaco brand salt and pepper coating mix give that a go its awesome
Thanks mate. This is lemon pepper not salt and pepper i prefer the lemon pepper to salt and pepper calamari.
I also get it from coles. Masterfood make them and can find it in the spice rack section

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Scraglor wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:I got 4 calamari on the weekend and my mrs was at work so it was up to me to try make the marinades...I tried some calarami on the bbq with a sweet chilli sauce marinade on them. Cooked for about 2 mins on the hottest plate i could get and was pleasantly suprised.

Also tried some in a soy sauce marinade but found it too strong.

Next time il wait for her to get home. Shes greek after all and knows how to prepare some decent tucker
yeah i suck at cooking 100%, wife isnt any better tbh :rofl: but i eat whatever she cooks, beggars cant be chooser right..
i have to work on my squid cooking.
Mate, I reckon those rings look awesome, would eat them any day of the week! making me hungry
Hah coming from.you thats a big compliment. Cheers

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:24 pm

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

2017-12-17 20.35.48.jpg
Good report mate.

thanks that was a good job in the way of duties but frustrating, but wasnt happy, they say they want best practice and ensure we follow policies but when i reported someone for breaching 5 policies in 15 mins when i arrived early rid of me.
now i work the 2 agency jobs and much happier but work just isnt as regular but much less stressful and no one breaches policy's. lol

Yep. That certainly sucks. Hopefully better to come in the new year

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:42 pm

purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

2017-12-17 20.35.48.jpg
Good report mate.

Yep. That certainly sucks. Hopefully better to come in the new year
Yep need a full time job but can just plot along with the agency.
Gives me more flexibility while my dads sick also.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Steve. If you dust the squid rings in cornflour prior to the egg wash you’ll get a lot better stick with the batter.

Then just one flip if in a fry pan in oil and it should mostly stay together.

Return to “Squid Fishing”