A Day Out With The Squid Whisperer!!

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: A Day Out With The Squid Whisperer!!

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:28 pm

smile0784 wrote:Well mate bet.you lernt some stuff too
Yeah i learnt to have more fun on squid by feeling the bite/ take and then striking like you would on a fish. Rather than just do what happens normally lift and have the squid on. Its not easy and most of the time for me it was like normal. But i did get a few by striking at the right time.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:46 pm

purple5ive wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
dazz999 wrote:awesome steve that would have been so much fun on the emeraldas how did the rod handle the bigger jigs
Was fine mate . Its rated to 2.0 - 3.5 sized jigs and i used a 3.5 with a 5gm weight and a size 3 with a 10gm weight on that outfit and it was fine.
Only issue i ever have with this rod is its too long in a boat i reckon and also because of that the tip gets line wrap on it quite consistently when doing aggressive retrieves..
all good Steve i use 10/10 braid and leader fantastic rod only time ive had trouble with line wrap was when i added the ciip on daiwa egi holder once i moved it further down the rod no problem the aggressive this rod handles easy as
whats this daiwa egi holder you speak of? or is just a fancy name for a hook keeper :-D
i use 20lb leader with an FG knot as the guides are micro at the tip end.This is a JDM model brading X (base model) version which i believe is now available locally just recently. only took 2 years to finally get down here :o_0:
yep hook keeper

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:50 pm

purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote::a_goodjob:
purple5ive wrote:
bowl wrote:HOw much did :rofl: guided tour with rui cost ya :o_0:
Nothing..

Lucky bastard lol
wasn't a Guided tour as such, more like a friendly fishing trip, just like what most of us on here have between mates..
when i offered to pay, he got a bit annoyed :oops:
Was jus joking about the guide thing.

Any tips or new things ya learnt...I use to hate squid fishing now I love it !!!

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Well done Steve your pretty lucky to be able to fish with Rui and smash your PB :cheers:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:Well done Steve your pretty lucky to be able to fish with Rui and smash your PB :cheers:
yes was an awsome opportunity specially when people are queuing up to fish with him...
he wasnt too phased with the sizes we caught as he said that very average.. but for me it was :fish11:

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 pm

bowl wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
bowl wrote:HOw much did :rofl: guided tour with rui cost ya :o_0:
Nothing..

Lucky bastard lol
wasn't a Guided tour as such, more like a friendly fishing trip, just like what most of us on here have between mates..

Any tips or new things ya learnt...I use to hate squid fishing now I love it !!!
haha yeah man i knew that..
i also wasnt interested in squid at all for a very long time, one day i decided to try it and became hooked.
tips, as i mentioned earlier about striking, and also make sure you get to the bottom. and dont be afraid to fish deeper water, besides that nothing out of the ordinary that i havent heard already.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:49 am

purple5ive wrote:
Yeah i learnt to have more fun on squid by feeling the bite/ take and then striking like you would on a fish. Rather than just do what happens normally lift and have the squid on. Its not easy and most of the time for me it was like normal. But i did get a few by striking at the right time.
Interesting never heard of striking a squid

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:51 am

purple5ive wrote:
Raulfc7 wrote:Well done Steve your pretty lucky to be able to fish with Rui and smash your PB :cheers:
yes was an awsome opportunity specially when people are queuing up to fish with him...
he wasnt too phased with the sizes we caught as he said that very average.. but for me it was :fish11:
Fishing is fishing some people just glad to catch something.
Size doesnt matter.

Except when its your personal best lol

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 am

purple5ive wrote:
bowl wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Nothing..

Lucky bastard lol

haha yeah man i knew that..
i also wasnt interested in squid at all for a very long time, one day i decided to try it and became hooked.
tips, as i mentioned earlier about striking, and also make sure you get to the bottom. and dont be afraid to fish deeper water, besides that nothing out of the ordinary that i havent heard already.
I heard fishing 8+ meters but never had any luck past 4mt personally

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:49 am

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Interesting never heard of striking a squid
yep he certainly strikes real hard for the big ones, exactly like those yanks do for the bass

Return to “Squid Fishing”