Squid reports

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
shazdoggg

Re: Squid reports

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Nice work on smashing your PB's Phil and trev!!

Has there been any seal action over at lorne or is he leaving you guys alone?
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:37 pm

shazdoggg wrote:Nice work on smashing your PB's Phil and trev!!

Has there been any seal action over at lorne or is he leaving you guys alone?
Thanks shaz - the first time I fished the pier was on Monday, I hooked and dropped 2 big salmon on metals and there was no seal around. But, every day since then there's been at least 1 seal around and no salmon :(
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:42 pm

The funny thing is when you take someone fishing, and a seal pops its head up, and they are blown away, camera out, best day ever, and you are dirty as hell

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:06 am

Scraglor wrote:The funny thing is when you take someone fishing, and a seal pops its head up, and they are blown away, camera out, best day ever, and you are dirty as hell
I too hate it when the resident seals pop up.

Thanks fellas. Tight lines

Giovanni

Post by Giovanni » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:08 am

Went to Queendcliff tonight. Got donuts. Few squid about. The pole brigade was in full force. One bloke got a 60 centre metre plus big flathead. Was so big it looked like a shark.

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:10 am

TrevKing wrote:Same spot, same time, same jig...after a few casts I upgraded my PB to 26cm (I assume the spike on its head is part of the hood???)
[emoji16]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421317380.401530.jpg
Nice cala. You've got it upside down, the 'spike' is it's siphon...generally not classed as part of the hood mate...lol..

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:14 am

seephil wrote:I just got back from my first lb session this year and managed a new PB. I havent meausred it yet. But here he is...Image
That is a cool looking cala mate, almost like a cross between an arrow squid and a calamari..very long with not the big width you associate with 35cm + calamari..

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:55 am

CarlG wrote:
seephil wrote:I just got back from my first lb session this year and managed a new PB. I havent meausred it yet. But here he is...Image
That is a cool looking cala mate, almost like a cross between an arrow squid and a calamari..very long with not the big width you associate with 35cm + calamari..
:icon_lolz: I was so excited with my catch i forgot to extend its wings out, it was folded in.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 pm

seephil wrote:
CarlG wrote:
:icon_lolz: I was so excited with my catch i forgot to extend its wings out, it was folded in.
Dont blme you mate haha. Cracker squid

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Went on Monday/Tuesday nights down at Blairgowrie.

Monday night was overcast with almost no wind and I fished at the top of the tide. Within a few minutes I found a patch of what I would call 'schooling' squid, in that there's plenty of small (good bait sized ones) all swimming together. I brought two up in quick succession but released them. Later on, just as I was texting the mrs I hooked up one but it managed to tear a solitude tentacle off. In the end I kept having the small ones hit the jig so kept them for bait. Got four small ones and a half decent one.

On the second night, the wind had picked up slightly and the moon was out. It took me a couple of hours but all I could manage were another two small ones. With the Whiting still around in Western Port, I may try and convert them into KGW

Return to “Squid Fishing”