Eging Reel - Daiwa Exist or Shimano Stella FI

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Eging Reel - Daiwa Exist or Shimano Stella FI

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:11 pm

purple5ive wrote:
bowl wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
AE092 wrote:Fishing gear is abut like cars, you'll have people with the daily vehicle that takes them from A to B and the guys rocking around in Porsches/AMGs ect. If they have the means too, then why not. You're not gonna tell them they've wasted X amount on a depreciating asset are you?

Back on topic, I previously had a Daiwa Luvias 2004H with the 86MLI Daiwa interline and couldn't fault it. It had good balance, casting range and sensitivity. I also caught salmon, Bream and flatties. I've since moved onto an Exist matched to an Emeraldas EX interline. Same deal, a little lighter/smoother and I enjoy catching them on something about nicer than the Jarvis Walker rod I started off with some time a go.

Certainly get where your coming from. but after a certain price point the feel you get between different model reels is SFA.
the rods may vary due to different tapers and guides etc. but lets be honest here Its a Damn Squid, all they can do is run in one direction when hooked. no fancy rod or reel work is neccesary to land them.
if you have a decent fish at least you have lunges, headshakes and change of direction...
what im trying to say is just because you own an AMG, M3 or a GT3 doesnt mean you have to drive it to the milk bar when a Nice Corolla will do.
we are talking about going to a Milk bar here Not Dinner at Nobu..
Was the biggest squid ya landed ,hood size ?
Nfi. Would have to be my 2nd arrow squid id say. Never measured it. But whats that got to do with this instance anyway..

As i said earlier im all for expensive gear but there's a limit even for me. And for squid a high end emma combo would be my limit.
I honestly dont see what an exist would do compared to the emeraldas air that would be so much noticable...
Fair enough just the big squid lung n pull line and need semi decent gear .... I take it a emeralds would be more then corolla.?

Lol

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 pm

Yeah i have seen some big squid caught next to me. Mostly though the drag is set really loose to stop the tentacles from being ripped.

The arrow i caught had a fair decent fight in it but i had to use caution as i only had 6lb line and was using my stiff rod. So no give at all.

Yeah corolla is what i have . Entry level emeraldas rod and reel. And its probably the most id go for squid. Considering i don't use it as much as id like to.
If i was using more often them maybe id upgarde but certainly not to an exist and ags guided model rod

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:26 pm

emeraldas combo a corolla :o_0: wish my back pocket agreed :down:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 pm

I thought a sienna/ rovex egi rod was a corolla....

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Nah that would be a greatwall

The corolla actually isn't a very cheap car hahaha.
And im reffering to the basic emeraldas combo as a corolla not the high end ones...
My rod and reel were both under $200 each.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 pm

purple5ive wrote:Nah that would be a greatwall

The corolla actually isn't a very cheap car hahaha.
And im reffering to the basic emeraldas combo as a corolla not the high end ones...
My rod and reel were both under $200 each.
mine is a ugly stick I bought from the lavo market and a old baitcaster I found on the murray river and cleaned up

Rough value of combi 50 bucks including braid.

it catches its 10 each trip.

bm

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:22 pm

I reckon fishing gear is a lot like fashion. My housemate just bought a $600 jacket...it doesn't necessarily keep him any warmer than his other jackets, but he gets enjoyment out of it. Therein lies its value.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:57 pm

It really doesn't matter what your opinion is on the gear you'd use for squid. OP's question was exist or Stella. For almost any purpose you'd ask of the reel I think it's much of a muchness. It would come down to aesthetics and probably warranty at that level of gear

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 pm

^^^^
and once the rod is known balance comes into play as well. I've never used one myself but most of the guys I've seen that are spending big on squid gear are going double handles so it is worth considering them when balancing the combo, a reel stand would probably be another handy extra that adds a bit of weight too.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Broomstick wrote:I reckon fishing gear is a lot like fashion. My housemate just bought a $600 jacket...it doesn't necessarily keep him any warmer than his other jackets, but he gets enjoyment out of it. Therein lies its value.
Hit the nail on the head. Each to their own I reckon. Do what makes you happy!

Anth

Return to “Squid Fishing”