Eging Reel - Daiwa Exist or Shimano Stella FI

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Eging Reel - Daiwa Exist or Shimano Stella FI

Post by barra mick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 am

cobby wrote:
MK10 wrote:The whole point of looking at an Exist, Stella or even a newer Emeraldas Air was the thought of using nicer gear with any advantage they may lend in terms of sensitivity, casting etc.
You'll be spending up to 50% more for .5% gain on a squid outfit. Spools on those 3 are basically interchangeable with the same brands ~$400 offerings in the same size, and are of the same design principals so casting performance comes down to line, cast action and rod. And sensitivity is in the rod and not the reel.

Unless you're going to seriously push a stella/exist on oversized fish (2500 size for chasing Kingfish or something else that sounds ridiculous), have ooodles of cash and don't give 2 sh*ts about dropping a heap on a reel because you can or you just love the wank factor there's really no reason to spend so much cash
That's what I wanted to write.....there just squid.....to be honest a hand line works just as good..

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 am

barra mick wrote:
That's what I wanted to write.....there just squid.....to be honest a hand line works just as good..

In a boat, yes. Landbased, not a chance.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:09 am

MK10 wrote: What sort of rods are you thinking? I've got a Daiwa Emeraldas AGS 83ML with and Emeraldas 2508PE-H fitted to it.......just looking for something slightly better.

I wish I could be more help with the rod (I have only tried a few EGI rods so not enough to provide a detailed comparison).

I would suggest asking Paul Carter goes by the name of ecofreak.

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Fishing gear is abut like cars, you'll have people with the daily vehicle that takes them from A to B and the guys rocking around in Porsches/AMGs ect. If they have the means too, then why not. You're not gonna tell them they've wasted X amount on a depreciating asset are you?

Back on topic, I previously had a Daiwa Luvias 2004H with the 86MLI Daiwa interline and couldn't fault it. It had good balance, casting range and sensitivity. I also caught salmon, Bream and flatties. I've since moved onto an Exist matched to an Emeraldas EX interline. Same deal, a little lighter/smoother and I enjoy catching them on something about nicer than the Jarvis Walker rod I started off with some time a go.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:47 pm

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:14 pm

AE092 wrote:Fishing gear is abut like cars, you'll have people with the daily vehicle that takes them from A to B and the guys rocking around in Porsches/AMGs ect. If they have the means too, then why not. You're not gonna tell them they've wasted X amount on a depreciating asset are you?

Back on topic, I previously had a Daiwa Luvias 2004H with the 86MLI Daiwa interline and couldn't fault it. It had good balance, casting range and sensitivity. I also caught salmon, Bream and flatties. I've since moved onto an Exist matched to an Emeraldas EX interline. Same deal, a little lighter/smoother and I enjoy catching them on something about nicer than the Jarvis Walker rod I started off with some time a go.
Certainly get where your coming from. but after a certain price point the feel you get between different model reels is SFA.
the rods may vary due to different tapers and guides etc. but lets be honest here Its a Damn Squid, all they can do is run in one direction when hooked. no fancy rod or reel work is neccesary to land them.
if you have a decent fish at least you have lunges, headshakes and change of direction...
what im trying to say is just because you own an AMG, M3 or a GT3 doesnt mean you have to drive it to the milk bar when a Nice Corolla will do.
we are talking about going to a Milk bar here Not Dinner at Nobu..

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Steve I completely disagree, it's not about what you are using it for but the frequency of use. If you are going to be using the combo frequently then I believe you should spend as much as you can afford.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:40 pm

purple5ive wrote:
AE092 wrote:Fishing gear is abut like cars, you'll have people with the daily vehicle that takes them from A to B and the guys rocking around in Porsches/AMGs ect. If they have the means too, then why not. You're not gonna tell them they've wasted X amount on a depreciating asset are you?

Certainly get where your coming from. but after a certain price point the feel you get between different model reels is SFA.
the rods may vary due to different tapers and guides etc. but lets be honest here Its a Damn Squid, all they can do is run in one direction when hooked. no fancy rod or reel work is neccesary to land them.
if you have a decent fish at least you have lunges, headshakes and change of direction...
what im trying to say is just because you own an AMG, M3 or a GT3 doesnt mean you have to drive it to the milk bar when a Nice Corolla will do.
Was the biggest squid ya landed ,hood size ?

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:06 pm

I think with expensive squid gear - the major benefit is from the using... not necessarily the catching.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:03 pm

bowl wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

Was the biggest squid ya landed ,hood size ?
Nfi. Would have to be my 2nd arrow squid id say. Never measured it. But whats that got to do with this instance anyway..

As i said earlier im all for expensive gear but there's a limit even for me. And for squid a high end emma combo would be my limit.
I honestly dont see what an exist would do compared to the emeraldas air that would be so much noticable...

Return to “Squid Fishing”