Eging Reel - Daiwa Exist or Shimano Stella FI

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Eging Reel - Daiwa Exist or Shimano Stella FI

Post by Basti » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 am

look at the sephia ci4+ series too. JDM egi reel that's supposed to have better build quality than the stradics (quality bearings etc). Daiwa's emaraldas series is comparable, especially the emaraldas air i think.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 pm

MK10 wrote:
rb85 wrote:You must be planning to do some serious bait collecting.

Not really! I simply get a great deal of enjoyment chasing these guys on jigs. Oh, and my family and I really enjoy eating them.
Fair enough mate it is a lot of fun the reels named are a big investment for squid though.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Surely the reel be used for more then just egi fishing, plastic fishing,
Kgw ect
Then again if ya got the bucks then nothing wrong with a kickarse egi only combo...

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:45 pm

bowl wrote:Surely the reel be used for more then just egi fishing, plastic fishing,
Kgw ect
Then again if ya got the bucks thennothing wrong with a kickarse egi only combo...
Not at all.
Im probably looking at it as purely an ego setup but it would definitely be a versatile reel.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Im all.for buying decent gear. But even i think this is extremely excessive for just squid.
But if you can afford it then so be it.

Both are great reels... the older stella model needs to have some special.tools required to change handle over, not sure about the new ones.

Daiwa has the added benefit of rcs/custom.project parts
But i wouldnt bother on an exist tbh.
Handle sides can be swapped easily without any special tools.

Exist sounds better. But magseal sucks when coming time to service by 3rd party centres.

If your getting the emeraldas rod then id maych it to the emeraldas reel and get the matching bag, jig cases and tools and still save some cash

Cheers

MK10

Post by MK10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 pm

frozenpod wrote:
MK10 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Shimano Ci4 3000 or Daiwa Emeraldas 2508PE- DHsize both perfect for squid.
Other than the price difference, is the quality and performance of these two products comparable? I do have the slightly older Emeraldas 2508PE-H. Is the dual handle version that much better?
I have the older model without dual handels.

Both are excellent reels for the application. The Ci4 is slightly lighter where as the Emeraldas is slightly stronger and more durable.

I personally would not hesitate to buy another Ci4+ 3000 for squid.
Thanks, I really appreciate your thoughts on this subject.

I've actually been running the previous Stradic Ci4 (3000) model on Shimano Sephia Game rods for a few years now. They're lovely outfits, not precisely balanced, but they feel quite good. The Stradic's are still going strong today.

The whole point of looking at an Exist, Stella or even a newer Emeraldas Air was the thought of using nicer gear with any advantage they may lend in terms of sensitivity, casting etc.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:30 pm

MK10 wrote:The whole point of looking at an Exist, Stella or even a newer Emeraldas Air was the thought of using nicer gear with any advantage they may lend in terms of sensitivity, casting etc.
You'll be spending up to 50% more for .5% gain on a squid outfit. Spools on those 3 are basically interchangeable with the same brands ~$400 offerings in the same size, and are of the same design principals so casting performance comes down to line, cast action and rod. And sensitivity is in the rod and not the reel.

Unless you're going to seriously push a stella/exist on oversized fish (2500 size for chasing Kingfish or something else that sounds ridiculous), have ooodles of cash and don't give 2 ***** about dropping a heap on a reel because you can or you just love the wank factor there's really no reason to spend so much cash

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:05 pm

MK10 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
MK10 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Shimano Ci4 3000 or Daiwa Emeraldas 2508PE- DHsize both perfect for squid.
Other than the price difference, is the quality and performance of these two products comparable? I do have the slightly older Emeraldas 2508PE-H. Is the dual handle version that much better?

Both are excellent reels for the application. The Ci4 is slightly lighter where as the Emeraldas is slightly stronger and more durable.

I've actually been running the previous Stradic Ci4 (3000) model on Shimano Sephia Game rods for a few years now. They're lovely outfits, not precisely balanced, but they feel quite good. The Stradic's are still going strong today.

The whole point of looking at an Exist, Stella or even a newer Emeraldas Air was the thought of using nicer gear with any advantage they may lend in terms of sensitivity, casting etc.

No worries at all.

I personally would spend the $$$ on a better rod if I was looking for more casting distance and better sensitivity.

MK10

Post by MK10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:36 pm

frozenpod wrote:
MK10 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
MK10 wrote:

No worries at all.

I personally would spend the $$$ on a better rod if I was looking for more casting distance and better sensitivity.
What sort of rods are you thinking? I've got a Daiwa Emeraldas AGS 83ML with and Emeraldas 2508PE-H fitted to it.......just looking for something slightly better.
Attachments
Daiwa Emeraldas Rod & Reel 1abc.jpg

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:17 am

Import yourself. Japanese invented the market and majority of it doesn't come here.

Yamaga blanks calista/tz nano 86m. Fuji k frame torzite guides with SiC tip guide, 99gm weight $440us.
Tenyru brigade 86mh-r. Fuji sic guides. Full length butt on this model. But 144gm weight. $360us.
Shimano Sephia SI 806m. 108gm weight. Interline rod so no guides. $317us
Shimano Sephia Xtune 806m. 100gm weight. Everything top Of The line Shimano Japan have. $417us
Emeraldas Stoist AGS 84m. Everything Daiwa Japan have top Of The line $600us
Valleyhill Retrograde 80ml. 18-28gm egi weight. $320au
Breaden squid wicked game specimen 88. 120gm rod weight. 47000y
EVERGREEN SQUIDLAW Imperial NIMS-80ULST ResponseMaster. 102gm rod weight. 62000y.

That's just what I found doing a bit of a google on the pricier egi rods from Japan. The yamaga sounds awesome

Return to “Squid Fishing”