Paul carter?

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
ecofreak

Re: Paul carter?

Post by ecofreak » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:17 am

dazz999 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm
hey Paul the cloths are very well made but why do they rust so easy was there a bad batch i have some yamashitas and harimitsus all used at the same time washed in freshwater after each session the yamshitas and harimitsus no rust but Gan Craft real bad rust
You will find that the JDM or standard Japanese models are the ones that rust - they have always been high carbon steel. While this means a sharper and harder steel they will be subject to surface rust. The Australian models have stainless barbs as the Australian market prefers them - they are not as sticky sharp or as strong but they dont rust.

Personally I prefer the high carbon versions.

If you get a jig that is starting to rust I have found that putting vinegar in an old spray and wipe bottle and giving them a quick squirt when I see surface rust spots and it cleans them up. If left wet in a jig bag or box they will be cancerous as fu#k and rust up like an old datsun.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:14 pm

ecofreak wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:17 am
dazz999 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm
hey Paul the cloths are very well made but why do they rust so easy was there a bad batch i have some yamashitas and harimitsus all used at the same time washed in freshwater after each session the yamshitas and harimitsus no rust but Gan Craft real bad rust
You will find that the JDM or standard Japanese models are the ones that rust - they have always been high carbon steel. While this means a sharper and harder steel they will be subject to surface rust. The Australian models have stainless barbs as the Australian market prefers them - they are not as sticky sharp or as strong but they dont rust.

Personally I prefer the high carbon versions.

If you get a jig that is starting to rust I have found that putting vinegar in an old spray and wipe bottle and giving them a quick squirt when I see surface rust spots and it cleans them up. If left wet in a jig bag or box they will be cancerous as fu#k and rust up like an old datsun.
Thank,s for the reply i understand high carbon steel i have some japanese knifes so i clean them dry them and apply a thin coat of oil before storing them im not going to put oil on my sqiud jig,s . you prefer the high carbon jig,s how do you clean and look after them ?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:59 pm

7pm is bad time I think but that's just me

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:27 pm

bowl wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:58 pm
Who the hell is he.
Screenshot_2017-07-05-13-55-34.png
Scooby doo can do-do

But Paul Carter, is smarter

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:52 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:14 pm
Thank,s for the reply i understand high carbon steel i have some japanese knifes so i clean them dry them and apply a thin coat of oil before storing them im not going to put oil on my sqiud jig,s . you prefer the high carbon jig,s how do you clean and look after them ?
I dont doo much special - I have a piece of pool noodle in the boat that hang the jigs on when I have used one - they get a light spray at car lovers with the fresh andthen I drive home - by the time I get home they are dry and I put them away. If they are not dry when I get home (Rain or close to home when I wash the boat) I just take the pooll noodle and hang it in the garage to dry before putting them away. I find it rare that I get anything other than surface rust but have had a few that I have replaced.

Return to “Squid Fishing”