Rods, Reels and General Rigs for Squid

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
mooneyz

Re: Rods, Reels and General Rigs for Squid

Post by mooneyz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:49 pm

Haha yeah the 14t is a killer. stock up on them as they are now discontinued. Used the emeraldas combo once and was a beautifully made rod but I couldnt justify the price on them

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:03 pm

i stocked up when wayne had them for $10 bucks a pop

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:55 pm

As a non specific egi rod I have recently been using a 1-4kg platinum ugly stick. I am finding this far better than previously used SP rods eg catana/trion etc.

The soft tip allows the squid to pull the jig to its mouth before resistance kicks in. The thicker tapering rod seems to absorb the pulses better without bigger squid feeling like they are yanking your hand off. The longer butt helps hauling in the big ones. Having extended grip forward means you can walk your hand up the but to make easier landing on a kayak. Larger eyelets dont cause as many tip wraps when working it (a much bigger issue on a yak when high sticking is a problem). Seems to have no issues flinging a bulky jig, as its basically a bait rod rather than light lure rod. Downside is some may find it a heavy handled rod to be casting all day. Not as sensitive as a egi or good Sp rod

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:07 pm

It's fishing, not rocket science. You can catch any fish on any gear. Might as well chuck a 12 inch lift kit under a Hyundai Excel and take that out the back of Noojee by that logic...

Me? I'd rather have the right setup for the job. Majorcraft Solpara 832 ~$150. Shimano Sedona or similar ~$90. Decent yet cheap 10-15lb braid (J braid, kairiki etc.) ~$40. Decent 10-15lb flurocarbon leader $15. $300 or so and you've got something you can use all day without tiring, doesn't break the bank considering the time and effort and other money that goes into fishing and to top it off you'll actually enjoy using it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:45 am

mooneyz wrote:Haha yeah the 14t is a killer. stock up on them as they are now discontinued. Used the emeraldas combo once and was a beautifully made rod but I couldnt justify the price on them
why the **** would they discontinue something so effective?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:13 am

4liters wrote:
mooneyz wrote:Haha yeah the 14t is a killer. stock up on them as they are now discontinued. Used the emeraldas combo once and was a beautifully made rod but I couldnt justify the price on them
I believe they have a new range coming out...

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:17 am

my first squid outfit was my daiwa gen black itchy twitchy and luvias 2004. it was my bream rod and i used that as i didnt want to shell out for a squid outfit at that stage specially because i never went suid fishing much at all.
eventually i got the emeraldas rod and now the reel (basic models) because i wanted to have a dedicated squid outfit.

you will catch squid on most fishing rods, having a dedicated squid outfit just makes it more fun.
i also use my squid rod for casting slugs at salmon from the boat.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:37 pm

bowl wrote:
mingle wrote:
mazman wrote:Mingle I'm aware you don't like to spend money on decent gear but the difference between an egi rod and a light graphite rod is chalk and cheese, never mind a fibreglass snapper rod. I'd suggest you actually use something prior to bagging it.
Oh I've spent plenty of dosh on 'decent' gear - but you probably don't consider Van-Staal reels 'decent' :-)

I just find it amusing when tackle companies roll out the latest and greatest some people seem draw, like moths to a flame, to chuck away their cash.

I'm curious as to what huge difference there is between rods when it comes to landing squid? How will an "egi" rod land more, or better' squid than an 8-10kg rod, or a light 2-4kg 1983 vintage 7ft hollow-glass rod, which I also troll with from my kayak?

In my experience (over 40 years now) a lighter rod will land no more squid than a heavier one - it will bend and flex more and take longer to get the squid to the boat, but that's about it. You can work a lure with any rod, reel, jig or line. When the squid are hungry, you'll get them. Even when they're not 'squid-specific' gear won't help you.

Same deal with 'brand-name' jigs - I regularly fish $1.50 lookalikes against $20 jigs and the catch-rate is the same. So why spend 20x the dosh for now benefit? Probably the same reason people shell out $1000 for a watch when a $50 Casio will do the exact same job, or why people pass-over a Kia and buy a BMW, or Audi? "A fool and his money..." as the saying goes... :tongue:

But feel free to blow your wonga on whatever you wish. Some people have more sense...

Mike
Out of interest how far can u cast out a jig on a,10-15kg rod with a matched reel of 6000 or so with 30lb line on it ,from a pier ect
Or how long you can keep up "Super Egi Egi" retrieve before you tire.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:12 pm

4liters wrote:
agree why stop making a jig that just keeps hooking squid the shimano 14t is a awesome jig sure they rip easy when beaked by squid but ive caught over 30 squid on the same jig over a period of a month it looks like a mess but still caught squid just checked my stock still got 5 new 3.0 and 3 2.5 mite buy some more sometimes you throw them out a fish deep they dont come back shimano have rocks in there heads to discontinue these

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:30 pm

they've changed the colour. the white has now got a pattern on the back. dunno if they are discontinuing though, still listed on the website

Return to “Squid Fishing”