Yesterday

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Yesterday

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:14 am

Well, I have been trying to clock up the acres in scanning for the Insight challange, and I am quickly running out of spots close to home that I haven't scanned.

One area south of Mornington I always passed up heading for supposedly greener pasturers. With the big boat needing a service, I start using the tinnie again, besides I like using the tinnie when I am squidding.

So setting the Lowrance Elite 5 chirp into logging sonar, I start working a pattern, similar to a farmer sowing or harvesting a field. So that it is not so boring I tow behind some lures, who knows I might get lucky.

Working close to the shore line, I start covering the area that I have avoid, and think to myself, this would be a great area for squid and whiting.

So I set up the drift and start catching some squid, so this area then becomes my new favourite secret spot.

Well to make a short story, long, I am out on the water, logging more acres on the sonar, towing some lures when I after about 2 hours I decide to drift for some squid.

In the end, I wind up with 2 reasonable sized cuttle fish and 4 squid.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Yesterday

Post by Lightningx » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:39 am

nice catch mate :P

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:54 pm

On Saturday launched the tinnie at sorrento, looking for new ground to scan with the sonar, towing two rapalas, when unexpectedly one rod goes off and I reel in a Barracouta, I put it out again, barely travel 10 metres and I am on again, but this time it is a arrow squid with one tentacle pinned to a single hook.

After that the ever reliable mercury starts to cough splatter and fart, like nobodies business, I go back and get add some fresher fuel to the tank and this works well for a while, then it starts farting and coughing like no tomorrow so I head back to the ramp for the motor to die totally, and no amount of sweet talking could get it started again, eventually so kind soul gives me a tow back to the ramp and I pull the boat out the water.

I get home to flush the engine and it starts first pull and runs like a dream.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Thats not a good thing for the motor to do..any idea?
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:34 am

possibly a blocked fuel filter either in the tank or the one in the water separator on the donk or a blocked air vent on the tank .

and a lot of others that I can't think of ATM . I hope it's one of the cheap fixs .

cheers TAC
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:26 am

Bought new spark plugs, the fuel filter looks fine, gotta empty the tank and see if there is any water in there.

Bought some fresher fuel that I wont add until I see what the other fuel looks like.

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:18 am

Had that happen to me once. It was water sitting in the bottom of the tank.

Return to “Squid Fishing”