Question relating to squid jigs

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Question relating to squid jigs

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:59 pm

White is a must! Any sized squid will take any sized jig, that chart above is pretty on point!! I generally use white n natural colours like tan brown n yellows but have green pink blue red black glow in the dark lol..

For me favourite jig is the all white egixile
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:18 pm

When it is on, it doesn't matter what the squid jig foil is. However when it is tough and the squid are finicky then its having all the different colors in the arsenal till you crack the code. As a starting guide I would get the following foils:
1. Red (my fav)
2. Rainbow
3. Gold / Silver
4. Odd colour - green, blue, purple, pink, orange
5. UV or glow

Also these days you can get two tone colors red on the bottom and gold on the top or some variation in the outside cloth with UV / glow strips.

The better quality brands in general will last longer, have better barbs etc When i first started squiding i was using $5 jigs. Over time u build up your arsenal.

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Like bowl has chosen I would definitely have the sephia 30t and 37t in my top 5. These jigs have out fished many others I have tried an produced on the worst days.
Here fishy fishy.......

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:13 pm

4liters wrote:
bowl wrote:
4liters wrote:A question for the people who go squidding a lot: People seem to collect huge numbers of different brands, colours and sizes, but if you had to pick four or five squid jigs what would they be?
Agree, people seem to get almost obsessed with collecting n obsessed with certain brand.

1.Red black magic
2. All white mojkio
3 sephia 29t
4. Sephia 3o t
These ones?
(couldn't find any pictures of mojiko squid jigs)

I'm sure it is beneficial to have 20 or more to choose from and change between during a session, but I can see people being in situations where having that many is impractical (i.e. on a kayak) or impossible due to the cost.
There the jigs.
Compleat angler did have sale on sephia 5 for 38$
Most the jigs I use are 3 or 3.5 weight I think
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:18 pm

The colours entices more buyers' than squid. Jk

Don't forget that technique is also important in your catch rate as well, a jig that darts around and looks like a prawn fleeing it's predator will increase your chances over those that bounces up and down every so often. This is from my own experience and visual observations

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Can this thread get stickied in the squid fishing sub forum? Lots of good info.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:05 pm

4liters wrote:A question for the people who go squidding a lot: People seem to collect huge numbers of different brands, colours and sizes, but if you had to pick four or five squid jigs what would they be?
Too hard to choose 4 favourites because it changes all the time. Conditions. Depth. Current. Water Clarity etc. But if i had to choose a colour it would be red hands down

kevinuy360

Post by kevinuy360 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Ill probably get one red, one gold and all white jig... i think this would give the best chance anytime of the day based on all of your information...

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:24 pm

AE092 wrote:The colours entices more buyers' than squid. Jk

Don't forget that technique is also important in your catch rate as well, a jig that darts around and looks like a prawn fleeing it's predator will increase your chances over those that bounces up and down every so often. This is from my own experience and visual observations
Always multiple parts to the puzzle and the colour the squid wants to eat is one of them. Technique is also important, conditions, water movement, jig size, fall rate etc

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:25 pm

poodoo wrote:When it is on, it doesn't matter what the squid jig foil is...............
Is the 'foil' the external color simply a backing of which is not visible? And if it is just the backing..why have it in different colors? Or perhaps I am just totally wrong! :)
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Squid Fishing”