Beginner Egi Rod

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
purple5ive
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm
Has liked: 240 times
Likes received: 348 times

Re: Beginner Egi Rod

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm

You do get what you are paying for.

If your someone who doesn't care how you catch the squid and just cast and retrieve a jig with the usual jerk and let sink retrieve. Then any rod or even a hand line will do the job.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the concept of making the squid jig dart how you want it to by imparting specific actions on the rod, or want to feel what happening to the jig at the end of you line, aka touching bottom, a squid hitting it with it tentacle or grabbing the jig and swimming away etc then invest in a rod that will let you feel all those actions and more.


A properly made squid rod will let you have a bit more fun especially on the bigger squid and YES theres a big difference in technique specific fishing for squid and the traditional method of squidding (jerk and let sink style)
Both catch squid ofcourse and there is no so called better way to fish for squid, just personal preference..

So with that in mind, pick something that suits your style.

You may find that squidding isnt for you, or you may find yourself upgrading gear before you know it because you enjoy it a lot.
All comes down to personal preference...
Small Fish Specialist :-D :-D :-D



Remove these ads.

ronan
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:48 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Likes received: 6 times

Re: Beginner Egi Rod

Post by ronan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm
ronan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am
What reel would you chuck on the solpara, don’t really know where to start, thanks for responding
What's your budget for the reel?
For squiding, the rod matters the most I'd say. And the reel, the lighter the better, but also means more expensive.
around 100-200

User avatar
mazman
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:45 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Likes received: 122 times

Re: Beginner Egi Rod

Post by mazman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:55 pm

saph wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 am
mazman wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:21 am
I've had the opportunity to muck around with quite a few egi rods and so far I am yet to find something that performs like the solpara at the price point.

A lot of the cheaper combos/rods that have been suggested here are just longer graphite rods with a slightly slower action and don't assist in casting and working the jigs the way an egi rod does. It really depends on what you want the rod to do, as has been established before just about any rod can work a jig for squid but the difference between just any old graphite rod and an egi rod for working jigs and fighting squid is enormous.

If you are just casting out jigs and throwing the rod in a holder just about anything will get the job done but from my experience you will catch less squid doing this than actively working the jig (literally never had a trip where the drifting jig has outfished the actively worked one).

For getting into it if you want the rod to be a dedicated squid outfit I would save up and grab the solpara, the other thing I will add is that the regular weight spec (code ends in an e) from majorcraft is still quite comfortable working 3.5 and 3.5d squid jigs like you would use at portsea/sorrento but can still use 2.5 and 3.0 while the heavy ones (eh) struggle a bit working the smaller jigs imo
Im not sure why you would post up to get a 150 dollar rod for someone just starting.


Also ive casted out my rovex rod on 4.0 jigs fine and its not had issues, when i mentioned rod holders its for bait fishing i was looking at the other combos on anaconda that are also at 59 dollars. Also ive looked at the solpara's and those are only upto 3.5 that cuts out all 4.0 jigs and baited spikes where as the rovex can do 4.0.
Couple of points here, I understand money is different for everyone but for the performance of this rod 150 is a very reasonable price (especially considering it's the full rrp). Two as stated above it is the cheapest rod that has the action and sensitivity of an egi rod for imparting action on the jig and assisting in landing squid (makes a big difference on the larger squid), I didn't just jump in and recommend the top of the line model, which ranges from 500-1000+ depending on brand.

As for the casting and working thing the e model from majorcraft can definitely do 4s (same weight as 3.5d in the jigs I use) just slow down the casting action a touch to let more of the rod load up, you just lose the ability for super aggressive retrieves.

I would really recommend grabbing a decent egi rod and having a fish with it to see what the difference is for yourself as it is substantial
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

User avatar
mazman
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:45 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Likes received: 122 times

Re: Beginner Egi Rod

Post by mazman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:00 pm

ronan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm
ronan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am
What reel would you chuck on the solpara, don’t really know where to start, thanks for responding
What's your budget for the reel?
For squiding, the rod matters the most I'd say. And the reel, the lighter the better, but also means more expensive.
around 100-200
In that price bracket I would recommend looking at the daiwa exceller lt or if shimano is more your thing the nasci. In either one the 2500 would be the pick of the sizes
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

frozenpod
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Likes received: 44 times

Re: Beginner Egi Rod

Post by frozenpod » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm

bowl wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 am
Seb85 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 am
bowl wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 am
Rovex for the price is a good all around boat rod squid ,kgw ,plastics.

Solpara is not worth the money....

If ya going to spend big get a decent ,$

300 rod.
D
Wish I could spend $400 on AGS Emeraldas. The $120 Solpara is good enough for me, already much better than squid fishing with $25 kmart rod.
Each to their own I guess.
Bingo everybody likes different things, major upgrade over the Kmart rod ..happy squidding..
I can afford a expensive ego combo , Im just happy with the rovex /Daiwa exceller combo ATM.
It is a Kmart rod........

User avatar
Seb85
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 pm
Has liked: 730 times
Likes received: 426 times

Re: Beginner Egi Rod

Post by Seb85 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:15 pm

mazman wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:00 pm
ronan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm
ronan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am
What reel would you chuck on the solpara, don’t really know where to start, thanks for responding
What's your budget for the reel?
For squiding, the rod matters the most I'd say. And the reel, the lighter the better, but also means more expensive.
around 100-200
In that price bracket I would recommend looking at the daiwa exceller lt or if shimano is more your thing the nasci. In either one the 2500 would be the pick of the sizes
I was gonna say the exceller lt 2500. I got one in the 4000 size, its a nice reel and light.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe



Remove these ads.

ronan
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:48 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Likes received: 6 times

Re: Beginner Egi Rod

Post by ronan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:33 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm
You do get what you are paying for.

If your someone who doesn't care how you catch the squid and just cast and retrieve a jig with the usual jerk and let sink retrieve. Then any rod or even a hand line will do the job.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the concept of making the squid jig dart how you want it to by imparting specific actions on the rod, or want to feel what happening to the jig at the end of you line, aka touching bottom, a squid hitting it with it tentacle or grabbing the jig and swimming away etc then invest in a rod that will let you feel all those actions and more.


A properly made squid rod will let you have a bit more fun especially on the bigger squid and YES theres a big difference in technique specific fishing for squid and the traditional method of squidding (jerk and let sink style)
Both catch squid ofcourse and there is no so called better way to fish for squid, just personal preference..

So with that in mind, pick something that suits your style.

You may find that squidding isnt for you, or you may find yourself upgrading gear before you know it because you enjoy it a lot.
All comes down to personal preference...
Yeah i like doing a jap eisuke retrieve, a decent rod + reel would def help too

Post Reply

Return to “Squid Fishing”