Mornington Pier 17/3

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
BenG

Mornington Pier 17/3

Post by BenG » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:09 pm

G'day All,
Took a couple of friends down to the pier last night.
We got there at about 0430hrs and fished through to about 1000hrs.
The conditions were pretty miserable, really cold, couple of spits of rain and a howling 30Knt Southerly. At least it was easy to cast :grin:

No real luck with anything, we tried Whiting Rigs, Garfish Rigs and Squid Jiggs with Pilchard, Pipis and Squid.
The only thing we did get was a small fish about 50mm long, that had a mouth on it about 40mm in diameter! It looked like the end of a plumbers mate :grin: so he went back in. A seal also burst out below us at one point, scaring the hell out of us!

The next guy along had slightly more luck and landed what looked like a small salmon or a mullet (it was pretty dark still...) but then karma intervened when he got hold of something serious, he thought it was a snapper/pinkie, and just as he breached the surface 2' from the pier, the above seal snatched it off the line! :lol:

Nobody else seemed to be having much luck around us. Oh well, there is always next time.... :Boxing:

Rgds Ben

Tonyzee

Re: Mornington Pier 17/3

Post by Tonyzee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:33 pm

If there is a seal just pack up and go home, they are mongrels.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Tonyzee wrote:If there is a seal just pack up and go home, they are mongrels.
Yeh those damn seals , they know whats going on "easy pickings" smh

BenG

Post by BenG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 am

Hah. Yep. Have to admire a creature that can so obviously exploit human behaviour for it's own gain.

Thanks for the tip Tony, I thought that when I first saw the seal, but then thought :wall: he'd moved on as I didn't see him until he took the "monster snapper" :grin:

Sounds like we should have packed up, headed home and dropped by Brighton judging the reports from Joey et al.

Rgds Ben

MattypVic

Post by MattypVic » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:21 am

My best fish was caught with a dirty big seal flapping around the pier one night,
I could here it splashing and carrying on in closer to shore as I got an 8kg snapper to the top of the water,
Even had to walk it around the whole pier to the lower platform so I could grab it.
Holding my breath the whole time just waiting for the seal to come ip and grab it!

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 am

i had a seal steal all the bait I had in a crab net a couple of times, unpinned the fish heads and cleaned them up. Didn't know what was happening till the bugger surfaced chewing the fishheads I had just put on......

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”