Mt.Martha Salmon

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
nhillboy

Mt.Martha Salmon

Post by nhillboy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Hit the rocks at Mt.Martha, Hearn rd. Sunday 9th Dec 5.30am - 10am. Wanted to see if the pinkys had arrived. First cast bang!!! 1 pinky 26cm released, and that was it zilch dead until 7.30am when i moved 60 metres towards safety beach direction. About this time water chopped up a little more for an hour before dropping back to about 10 knots SW. First cast again bang!! a 30cm salmon followed 10 mins later by a nice 37cm salmon and then whackity whack i had a ripper fight with a 41cm salmon. I wanted him to go this way and he wanted to go for the rocks and bust me off. Having fresh salmon for dinner tonight. Blue bait did the job today. :dinner: :r :cheers: :grin: :woohoo: :super: :water:

pjlocko

Re: Mt.Martha Salmon

Post by pjlocko » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Good job! Better than me - I was at Daveys Bay 8:00am till 12 and got a Puffer and something else I still need to id (Edit: It was a Luderick).. Better than sitting in the house tho.. :)
Last edited by pjlocko on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 pm

nhillboy wrote:Hit the rocks at Mt.Martha, Hearn rd. Sunday 9th Dec 5.30am - 10am. Wanted to see if the pinkys had arrived. First cast bang!!! 1 pinky 26cm released, and that was it zilch dead until 7.30am when i moved 60 metres towards safety beach direction. About this time water chopped up a little more for an hour before dropping back to about 10 knots SW. First cast again bang!! a 30cm salmon followed 10 mins later by a nice 37cm salmon and then whackity whack i had a ripper fight with a 41cm salmon. I wanted him to go this way and he wanted to go for the rocks and bust me off. Having fresh salmon for dinner tonight. Blue bait did the job today. :dinner: :r :cheers: :grin: :woohoo: :super: :water:
Well done nhillboy sounds like Martha is going to be your dear friend again :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Raulfc7, i love Martha ( she my secret girlfriend) and the scenery but she can be a real ***** at times and very good on other occasions. It seems i can only catch a fish an hours drive out of Melb at the moment. The local piers have dried up but they will come back with a bang over Christmas. :cheers:

Biggame

Post by Biggame » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Nice work nhillboy I might give it a go sometime this week were there many places to park?

cdrolly

Post by cdrolly » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Not Many places to park there... I usually squeeze in at deakin drive but at times you have to trawl (lolz) around for a safe spot to leave your ride. Nice catch mate I was at Morningtong Pier over the weekend trying to target Snapper... I ended up bagging out on squid and had one bite off the surf rod and also took home a 40cm Salmon. Even ballooned out on Sunday for a few hours but no joy... loved the calamari rings and Salmon for dinner last night.... Nothing better than eating your freshly caught tucker!

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Biggame wrote:Nice work nhillboy I might give it a go sometime this week were there many places to park?
There are 2 dirt carparks (small) opposite Hearn rd on the Esplanade. About 6 to 8 cars fit in each. Try and park at the one with the bus shelter, the path down to rocks is next to it. At the cliff to the left about 50-60 meters is where i caught the salmon. Plenty of underwater rubble and the chance of snagging. If possible pick a day that is choppy SW. :gone: :cheers:

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:56 pm

cdrolly wrote:Not Many places to park there... I usually squeeze in at deakin drive but at times you have to trawl (lolz) around for a safe spot to leave your ride. Nice catch mate I was at Morningtong Pier over the weekend trying to target Snapper... I ended up bagging out on squid and had one bite off the surf rod and also took home a 40cm Salmon. Even ballooned out on Sunday for a few hours but no joy... loved the calamari rings and Salmon for dinner last night.... Nothing better than eating your freshly caught tucker!
Thanks mate, and well done on your catch. I too like to fish from Mornington pier but haven't been there since they dismantled it. I have always had good early morning sessions there even though the fish can be small. Last time i was there the pier was not finished, what about now? The salmon we ate fresh Sunday night and were delicious. The wife done them whole in the oven in foil with garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, parsley mmmmm!!! and like you said they taste better when you have caught them. :cheers:

cdrolly

Post by cdrolly » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 am

nhillboy wrote:
cdrolly wrote:Not Many places to park there... I usually squeeze in at deakin drive but at times you have to trawl (lolz) around for a safe spot to leave your ride. Nice catch mate I was at Morningtong Pier over the weekend trying to target Snapper... I ended up bagging out on squid and had one bite off the surf rod and also took home a 40cm Salmon. Even ballooned out on Sunday for a few hours but no joy... loved the calamari rings and Salmon for dinner last night.... Nothing better than eating your freshly caught tucker!
Thanks mate, and well done on your catch. I too like to fish from Mornington pier but haven't been there since they dismantled it. I have always had good early morning sessions there even though the fish can be small. Last time i was there the pier was not finished, what about now? The salmon we ate fresh Sunday night and were delicious. The wife done them whole in the oven in foil with garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, parsley mmmmm!!! and like you said they taste better when you have caught them. :cheers:
Mmm that sounds bloody tasty :) They have the Rig out at mornington testing the soil below the Pier so looks like they are finally getting on with it. Your right gets pretty busy there and it takes one person who cant cast straight to ruin it for everyone... oh well we were all noobs at one stage. When it gets busy I start to head up to the rocks...

Biggame

Post by Biggame » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 am

nhillboy wrote:
Biggame wrote:Nice work nhillboy I might give it a go sometime this week were there many places to park?
There are 2 dirt carparks (small) opposite Hearn rd on the Esplanade. About 6 to 8 cars fit in each. Try and park at the one with the bus shelter, the path down to rocks is next to it. At the cliff to the left about 50-60 meters is where i caught the salmon. Plenty of underwater rubble and the chance of snagging. If possible pick a day that is choppy SW. :gone: :cheers:
OK thanks mate im hoping to get there real soon.

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”