Fishing at Mt. Martha

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
astreat32

Fishing at Mt. Martha

Post by astreat32 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:25 pm

G'day members,

I am new to the site but have been fishing for a while. However, I have a bit of a problem in that I happen to be very bad at fishing. I have been trying out the bottom of Hearn rd in Mt. Martha every time I head over there to visit family. The only thing I catch is snags. Was wondering if any of you could help me out with technique I should try or what gear I should be using? I'm targeting flathead, whiting and anything else that might be off the rocks. What are they catching around there at the moment? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. Also, hello to you all.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Re: Fishing at Mt. Martha

Post by VooDoo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:25 pm

:welcome:

Wish I could help you out but I am still relatively new to the fishing game. Pretty sure some of the local members living on the peninsula will be able to give you some advice.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm

:welcome: to the site astreat. :r
Hope this info helps you some....
I fish Mt.Martha rocks many times during the year. I prefer 15-25 knot SW, W or Nth.W rough conditions. More fish action usually, but i have had many dead sessions as well. First 3 hours after first light best at high tide.I have caught many Pinkys, Salmon, and KG Whiting over the years and the odd big Flathead and Silver Trevally. My pb's have been Pinky 42cm, Aust.Salmon a 52cm monster, Trevally 36cm, Whiting 36cm, Flathead 45cm and only 1 Luderick ever at 40cm. Calm conditions you can get whiting, gars and a bucket full of star fish, but more busy with more fishermen. I use 2 x 3.6 mt surf roads and 1 x 2.4 mt pier rod. Star sinkers are the go from 2 - 4 oz. Blue bait the go for bigger Pinkys and Salmon. Calamari, Pilchard and Pipis also good to use. 2 hook paternoster rigs are used, hooks vary from size 6, size 2, 1/0, 2/0,3/0 and sometimes 4/0. I assume you are trekking down the path next to the bus stop opposite Hearn rd. Facing the water, to your right up to 200m away is where the whiting fishos go but snag city. To your left up to about 100m is pinky, salmon and trevally territory. Some snags in close to edge up to 3-5 mt out. Fast retrieve required with rod held upwards. Wet weather gear needed for 20+ knots. Being half mountain goat like myself helps in staying dry. It can be very hit and miss with Mt.Martha as my last 4 trips ( 2x calm & 2x rough) over the last 2 months has netted me 0 fish. Fishing at Mt.Martha was very good up to 2010 as the last few years have only been ok to poor. Good luck on your next trip to the rocks. :cheers: :r
Last edited by nhillboy on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:02 pm

astreat32 wrote:G'day members,

I am new to the site but have been fishing for a while. However, I have a bit of a problem in that I happen to be very bad at fishing. I have been trying out the bottom of Hearn rd in Mt. Martha every time I head over there to visit family. The only thing I catch is snags. Was wondering if any of you could help me out with technique I should try or what gear I should be using? I'm targeting flathead, whiting and anything else that might be off the rocks. What are they catching around there at the moment? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. Also, hello to you all.
Good spot for squid.

Firstly fishing a spot is about learning where the snags are and then avoiding them.

What size rod are you using? You need to be able to cast past the rocks, and when retrieving the line, to wind as fast as possible to keep the rig off the bottom.

Garfish are always a possibility down there.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 pm

astreat32 wrote:G'day members,

Hey mate, you don`t have to be bad at fishing to lose gear at Mt Martha rocks...do yourself a favour and try out some of the local piers. I prefer Sorrento, but any of the local ones will produce fish. You`ll also find the lack of a bloody hair raising descent an advantage...Have a look at at Peninsula Total Tackle`s website, it has a great article on the mornington peninsula piers.

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”