Mornington Pier - 9/6/2019

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
whambamsam
Has liked: 12 times

Mornington Pier - 9/6/2019

Post by whambamsam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi FV community,

Got back from a 6 week holiday with intense fishing withdrawal, so headed out to the pier despite the fresh winds. Got there at about 10AM and fished til about 5PM.

Really quiet across the entire pier - wind was blowing from the N/NW and the tide seemed to be running quite hard, so most people were fishing into the sheltered section of the harbour. I rocked up hoping to find some big winter squid (actually hit up Blairgowrie pier for an hour on Saturday with a mate and lost two, but mate came away with one about 30cm hood), but didn't see anyone pulling up any squid inc myself.

I gave up on the squid at around 12PM and switched over to SPs, which struggled to sink in the conditions. Landed my first barracouta, around 35cm. Later on, switched over to some bait because I felt I just couldn't get the SPs deep enough with my jigheads. Pulled up just the one flatty, but plenty of enquiries on the rod. Was using circle hooks (size 1 I think) to try to deter the small pinkies, but still not convinced that circles are for me.

Met a few guys who were hoping for some snapper to come in with the blow but weren't having much luck. Bloke who left at about 11AM showed me a snapper he pulled up at 8AM - nice fish, 55CM.

Hoping to get a few more clear and calm days for a slightly easier day out. Any recommendations for winter fishing that don't involve the surf?

Bugatti

Re: Mornington Pier - 9/6/2019

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Nice session there Wham, a bit of a variety of fishing methods. Always a good thing to try a few different methods.

I'd say with what you've said and your dedication , , , , a better day, you'd be rewarded with better results.

I'm in SA, but I'd say dawn (if not a high tide pre-dawn) and dusk for the Reds , , , , and although you guys have plagues of pinkies, always worth a cast.

I'm with you, circles for me have limited application. Mainly if I'm fishing for fish that I know are going to hit the bait and not just nibble. Mainly Reds in some locations, Yellow Fin Whiting off a mild beach in Summer and Bream (yes, I fish for Bream :o_0: )

Cheers, Breamgatti

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm

whambamsam wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 pm
Any recommendations for winter fishing that don't involve the surf?
Thanks for the report.

My winter routine other than surf fishing is lake trouts. Breams and squids are all year round.
There were times I was keen on chasing seven gill and mulloway in the middle of winter.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Nice session there Wham, a bit of a variety of fishing methods. Always a good thing to try a few different methods.

I'd say with what you've said and your dedication , , , , a better day, you'd be rewarded with better results.

I'm in SA, but I'd say dawn (if not a high tide pre-dawn) and dusk for the Reds , , , , and although you guys have plagues of pinkies, always worth a cast.

I'm with you, circles for me have limited application. Mainly if I'm fishing for fish that I know are going to hit the bait and not just nibble. Mainly Reds in some locations, Yellow Fin Whiting off a mild beach in Summer and Bream (yes, I fish for Bream :o_0: )

Cheers, Breamgatti
haha I appreciate it! Hoping that I do get one of those better days soon, maybe this weekend!

I've never actually caught a bream before - is it a species worth targeting?

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm
whambamsam wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 pm
Any recommendations for winter fishing that don't involve the surf?
Thanks for the report.

My winter routine other than surf fishing is lake trouts. Breams and squids are all year round.
There were times I was keen on chasing seven gill and mulloway in the middle of winter.
Any particular lakes you like to hit up?

I went to the Eildon pondage just before Easter hoping to land my first freshwater fish (and hopefully a trout), and ended up with a nice redfin. Lost a trout sadly because I was a bit too eager and didn't know that they had soft mouths - seemed like I pulled the hook :(

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am

whambamsam wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm
Yes, they fight hard, can be challenging. Plenty of bream enthusiasts and comp with expensive gears, $100k boat and all.
Southern black breams we have here in Vic is different to yellow fin breams up in Qld. Yellow fin breams generally more aggressive and 'easier' to catch.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:48 am

whambamsam wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 pm
Any particular lakes you like to hit up?

I went to the Eildon pondage just before Easter hoping to land my first freshwater fish (and hopefully a trout), and ended up with a nice redfin. Lost a trout sadly because I was a bit too eager and didn't know that they had soft mouths - seemed like I pulled the hook :(
Yup, drag setting is important. Common mistake though, so don't worry. I do that too time to time. Just gotta play it cool.

Pondage isn't a bad trout fishery.
Depends where you live and how far you want to go. Landbased or kayak/boat. Apart from family lakes, some options are Devilbend, Bullen Merri, purrumbette, Newlyn, Hepburn, Wendouree, Toollaroop... There are a lot of stocked lakes.

My tips, go to fisheries website and they list them. Then go to parks vic website to check for the access, facilities and 'how to get there'

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:14 am

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am
whambamsam wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm
Yes, they fight hard, can be challenging. Plenty of bream enthusiasts and comp with expensive gears, $100k boat and all.
Southern black breams we have here in Vic is different to yellow fin breams up in Qld. Yellow fin breams generally more aggressive and 'easier' to catch.
Yes Wham, I agree

They are easier to catch with bait, but also fun and challenging with lures (I take the easier option with bait).

AND they are a great land-based fish for those without boats, with all the same fighting abilities as Snapper for their size. Great fun

Cheers, Bug

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi Wham,
Nice report mate.
During winter I usually always target salmons but it’s also a great time to chase squid and gars as well.
I used to do really well with the gars from the local piers especially from mordialloc during the day and at night as well at this time of the year :) just make sure you take a simple bread crumb burley mix and use some good floats.
Cheers :thumbsup:

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 pm
Hi Wham,
Nice report mate.
During winter I usually always target salmons but it’s also a great time to chase squid and gars as well.
I used to do really well with the gars from the local piers especially from mordialloc during the day and at night as well at this time of the year :) just make sure you take a simple bread crumb burley mix and use some good floats.
Cheers :thumbsup:
appreciate the tip! haven't tried targeting gars yet - are there any particular weather + water conditions to look out for?

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”