Mt Martha Rocks + Flinders Pier 19/04

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
whambamsam
Has liked: 12 times

Mt Martha Rocks + Flinders Pier 19/04

Post by whambamsam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Hello all,

Wasn't sure where to post this report, but since the success was had at (spoilers) Mt Martha I figured this is where it belonged.

Decided to head out today to target some squid, hopefully get some bigger ones since the last few I had at Mornington Pier were pretty small. Went to Flinders Pier first, figuring all the bay piers would be packed. Got there at high tide around 11AM, pretty quiet as far as I could tell - saw 1 guy with a mackerel, and everyone else with nothing. No squid to be found sadly - visibility in the water was shocking which might've been the issue. Not sure why it was so murky.

Gave up and went to the rocks, arriving towards the end of the rising tide at 2PM. Pretty packed today, with most people choosing to hit up the northern end of the rocks where the majority of the weed beds were with minimal rock to get proper snagged on. Decided to avoid the crowd and work a little harder for the squid. Had no luck for about an hour and a half, was about to give up when I felt like I snagged - then the snagged pulled back. Managed two great sized squid (1 a PB for myself) in the space of about 10-15 minutes before it got quiet again.

Was going to stick around til sunset but had a stray loop develop in the reel - had a spare rod but just took it as a sign to head home. Happy to have finished the day out with something to show for it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Mt Martha Rocks + Flinders Pier 19/04

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 pm

A couple of nice squid mate.
Congrats on the PB :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Wow nice.
Where is this mt martha rocks?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Up from Mornington pier driving towards dromana. The drive along the cliffs. Park and walk down cliffs :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:23 pm

Nice pair there

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:32 pm

:a_goodjob:
Lightningx wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:19 pm
Up from Mornington pier driving towards dromana. The drive along the cliffs. Park and walk down cliffs :)
Hummm... Google map is showing a lot of cliffs, all of them produce squids? Guess I just have to see the cars from the sounds of it. Be pretty crowded during holidays.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Martha often fires up right on sunset - sometimes I'll fish there for hours with no luck then get one every cast in the last half hour of daylight. You need to be confident that you can get back up to your car in low light though.

Lately I've been having more squid success down Sorrento way, but I don't go near the place on holiday weekends - even at weird hours of the night the place is crowded.

If you fish Flinders you don't have to go on the pier, especially if you have plastics to flick around. The car park and the rocks often fish better than the pier.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:32 pm
:a_goodjob:
Lightningx wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:19 pm
Hummm... Google map is showing a lot of cliffs, all of them produce squids? Guess I just have to see the cars from the sounds of it. Be pretty crowded during holidays.
I have fished plenty of spots along there and have caught squid from most of the spots. Most of the spots can’t accomodate for many cars. Some really good ground for kgw and snapper/pinkies along there as well :)

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:52 pm

That's what I thought, I thought the mt martha rocks are for snappers, I think I fished on one of the rocks once for snapper, never targetted squids before.

And yeah, long weekend and all, be crowded everywhere. I need to stock up some squid heads for bait.

whambamsam
Has liked: 12 times

Post by whambamsam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm
Martha often fires up right on sunset - sometimes I'll fish there for hours with no luck then get one every cast in the last half hour of daylight. You need to be confident that you can get back up to your car in low light though.

Lately I've been having more squid success down Sorrento way, but I don't go near the place on holiday weekends - even at weird hours of the night the place is crowded.

If you fish Flinders you don't have to go on the pier, especially if you have plastics to flick around. The car park and the rocks often fish better than the pier.
Never tried the carpark or the rocks, might give that a go next time!

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”