dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Mt Martha Rocks + Mornington Pier 16/03/19

Post by dazz999 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:53 pm

tbcha1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:28 pm
Aaron75 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm
I saw you there, I didn't fish there but wandered down to have a look and heard you talking to the garfishers next to you. I think you were just cleaning a salmon when I was there. I regularly stop there, sometimes to fish and sometimes to just have a look, I've never seen it as busy as it was today. Often I go there on a perfect morning and have the place to myself. I actually think that spot gets less attention now than it did a few years ago, for some reason today was crazy.
were you the guy bit further down from the 2 people catching garfish? i saw someone sitting there enjoying the view of the nice calm sunny day.
Hopefully u didnt get to see some of my bad casts hahaha

the far right side of the rocks when i used to come down was almost always empty and the spot i was in was the preferred spot. But we used to only come down mainly in winter for salmon. I spoke to another guy who walked by and he said today was actually not that bad lol he said it can get even busier. He said he prefers the right side like all the others because there are more reefy outcrops on that side so you get more squid.
I got there at first light and there was alot more people down on the left side where i was. But by the time the couple who were catching the garfish came most had already left
good size gar,s ? i,m just starting to stock up on breadcrumbs

tbcha1
Has liked: 12 times

Post by tbcha1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm
tbcha1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:28 pm

were you the guy bit further down from the 2 people catching garfish? i saw someone sitting there enjoying the view of the nice calm sunny day.
Hopefully u didnt get to see some of my bad casts hahaha

Nah I didn't go down to the waterline, I just stood on the flat bit above and behind you. There were about 11 or 12 people I could see on the rocks to the right, but they were all far to the right under the second car park. I find it very snaggy there. When I fish there I always go to the right but not that far - I fish the ledge halfway between where you were and the large group to the right of you. Always plenty of squid around that little bit of reef, I've cleaned up there a few times.
ahhh k so basically opposite side of me across from that cove bit?
havent fished right (when facing the sea) before but will give it a go next time im down there during a working day. I cant see myself getting a spot on the right during a weekend. Pretty full already and it was just on sunrise. Dont think there would have been much parking spot as well on the right of hearn rd when i got there

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:41 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:53 pm
good size gar,s ? i,m just starting to stock up on breadcrumbs
I have never fished for garfish but they looked decent enough sized i reckon. I wasnt fishing right next to them but from where i was at they looked alright for garfish...maybe 25 to 30cm at most if i had to guess

been reading up on catching garfish so ill probably have a go next time im there as well

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:37 pm

tbcha1 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:39 pm

ahhh k so basically opposite side of me across from that cove bit?
havent fished right (when facing the sea) before but will give it a go next time im down there during a working day. I cant see myself getting a spot on the right during a weekend. Pretty full already and it was just on sunrise. Dont think there would have been much parking spot as well on the right of hearn rd when i got there
Yeah, just on the other side of that cove to your right. There is a few bits of rock that jut out with little bays in between them, I usually go the the second or third rock. I've caught plenty of KGW, flathead and pinkies there too. I don't park in the north car park though, it's a steep climb down there. I park in the South car park, above where you were, then walk halfway down and turn right then walk around the grass track. Much easier.

I'm learning to catch garfish too... I've never tried for them before but I've spent most of today reading up about them, I bought some gear for them today and will have a crack at them over the next few days. Probably starting at Mornington Pier hoping to get a few tips from watching the regulars there. :water:

tbcha1

Post by tbcha1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:18 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Yeah, just on the other side of that cove to your right. There is a few bits of rock that jut out with little bays in between them, I usually go the the second or third rock. I've caught plenty of KGW, flathead and pinkies there too. I don't park in the north car park though, it's a steep climb down there. I park in the South car park, above where you were, then walk halfway down and turn right then walk around the grass track. Much easier.

I'm learning to catch garfish too... I've never tried for them before but I've spent most of today reading up about them, I bought some gear for them today and will have a crack at them over the next few days. Probably starting at Mornington Pier hoping to get a few tips from watching the regulars there. :water:
haha i done the same in the past. Bought a bunch of pencil float when i saw them on clearance years ago and now i cant remember where i stored them like alot of my other fishing gear i thought id use one day. But I liked how the couple was fishing. Just have one line out for bigger fish while you go about catching garfish while you wait. Seemed like a good way to make the most of your time fishing.

thanks for the tip on how to get there. Ill give it a go next time if its free.

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:22 pm

tbcha1 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:18 pm
Aaron75 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:37 pm

haha i done the same in the past. Bought a bunch of pencil float when i saw them on clearance years ago and now i cant remember where i stored them like alot of my other fishing gear i thought id use one day. But I liked how the couple was fishing. Just have one line out for bigger fish while you go about catching garfish while you wait. Seemed like a good way to make the most of your time fishing.

thanks for the tip on how to get there. Ill give it a go next time if its free.
Haha I have no idea where you guys are talking about specifically but I'm now very eager to give the rocks a go again...

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:56 pm
whambamsam wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:32 pm
Nice bag of squid mate.
No one catching gars or kgw off the small pier on the side?
Nah - not that I could see. Wind was blowing.... easterly(?) so into the bay, making it a little tougher to fish on the other end. Wind was really picking up when I left at around 8PM as well, but that's when the usual egi crowd turns up which made it a prime time to exit.

Have never seen anyone pull up a KGW at mornington, would love to grab my first KGW at some point! Would love any pointers on where I could find some landbased. I've seen a small school of them (4-5) at Sorrento just the one time.
Mate I have had many great sessions from the rocks there with the kgw. Haven’t targeted them there in awhile but can remember many top sessions. I’m telling you they are most definitely there. I mean you won’t catch them everytime but I’m sure if you kept persisting you will get onto some :P
Interesting... Rocks as in Schnapper Point rocks? Have never given that area a shot but thanks for the tip! I'm a little wary of snags though, will I need a surf rod?

whambamsam

Post by whambamsam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 pm

hornet wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:03 pm
whambamsam wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Nice bag of squid mate.
Nah - not that I could see. Wind was blowing.... easterly(?) so into the bay, making it a little tougher to fish on the other end. Wind was really picking up when I left at around 8PM as well, but that's when the usual egi crowd turns up which made it a prime time to exit.

Have never seen anyone pull up a KGW at mornington, would love to grab my first KGW at some point! Would love any pointers on where I could find some landbased. I've seen a small school of them (4-5) at Sorrento just the one time.
Try Anthony's nose Dromana a mate got a few there one night last week..
Interesting... Just did a quick Google satellite check and it seems kind of bare except for two weed patches. Are you just walking along the shore and casting to those, or wading out?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm

whambamsam wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 pm
hornet wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:03 pm
whambamsam wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Nice bag of squid mate.

Try Anthony's nose Dromana a mate got a few there one night last week..
Interesting... Just did a quick Google satellite check and it seems kind of bare except for two weed patches. Are you just walking along the shore and casting to those, or wading out?
Don't worry about the weed, they come close under the cover of darkness, plan to fish from just on dark to into the night, pipis small packet prawn and squid will cover the bases, cast far and close till you find where they are feeding at, incoming tide is preferred, unlikely beach but they are there.

Also in front of the beach houses across the road from the Dromana tourist information center is another great spot.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:25 pm

whambamsam wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:56 pm
whambamsam wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Nice bag of squid mate.

Mate I have had many great sessions from the rocks there with the kgw. Haven’t targeted them there in awhile but can remember many top sessions. I’m telling you they are most definitely there. I mean you won’t catch them everytime but I’m sure if you kept persisting you will get onto some :P
Interesting... Rocks as in Schnapper Point rocks? Have never given that area a shot but thanks for the tip! I'm a little wary of snags though, will I need a surf rod?
Bit further down the road mate. Hearns rd/Ian’s rd area. Have also caught plenty straight off the beach from safety beach :)

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”