So is Mornington pier wrecked again?

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: So is Mornington pier wrecked again?

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:14 am

purple5ive wrote:its the worst of the lot this time, its going to be closed 100% guaranteed
If so atleast the squid will get a chance to grow lol

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:08 am

Lol

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am

Posted on the 9th April 2018 @ http://mpnews.com.au/2018/04/09/rethink ... e-screens/
mpnews.com.au wrote:A REDESIGNED wave protection system along the seaward side of Mornington pier will – hopefully, this time – better protect it from storm damage.

Workmen were last week drilling 120 holes for supports and using a crane to attach a steel frame, while divers were down below cleaning up the seabed and removing previously damaged steel frames and debris.

Parks Victoria engineers said the original waler – a type of brace that attaches the wave screens to the pier – would be replaced with a larger, stronger version, with the wave screens bolted through the panels for additional strength.

A new, secondary waler will provide extra reinforcement. Twice the number of top connections will be installed and the bolts will be larger and stronger.

If things run to schedule the wave screen panels will be fixed in place by the end of the month and the full wave protection system completed by June “subject to favourable weather and conditions”.

The original wave screens were damaged by major storms in July and October 2016, prompting engineers to rethink the design of the system to better withstand the elements. Violent storms in previous years inflicted similar damage.

Some sections of the pier will be closed off during the works but the remainder will be kept open.

Parks Victoria acting regional director for Melbourne Marine and Maritime Graeme Davis said the timing of the works would avoid peak visitor periods and allow construction during milder weather conditions before winter’s onslaught.

“The wave protection system has been redesigned and strengthened to ensure the community can

have full confidence the wave screens will withstand future storm events,” he said.

“There will be some restricted access to the pier for public safety, however, we are expecting the disruptions will mostly be on the ocean side of the pier.

“Parks Victoria would like to thank the community for their patience while the repair works are carried out.”

All the videos and photos I've seen so far, only show damage to the previously damaged, temporary repair, section of the pier.

Here's a video that was shared to a page I follow.
The video was taken by Alan Mauger, not me.

https://www.facebook.com/alan.mauger.9/ ... 40113/?t=0

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Live in mornington pier. Pier is closed off and seems to be damage near the end. Wind is extreme, three sail boats washed up on the beach broken.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 am

They ever going to get it right

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am

Mornington pier (and the 'harbour' generally) is a good example of why these thing shouldn't be left to poor old Parks Vic to manage....and I mean that sincerely. I'm sure the last thing PV want is the burden of these fairly significant infrastructure assets on their books. They have better things to do, surely? And in saying that...... it needs to be kept the heck away from Council as well.

Victoria needs a dedicated body to manage assets like this and plan future works also. With the exception of Gippsland Ports (which are brilliant imo), the rest of Victoria's rec boating facilities really are a joke compared to other states and countries.

I read the summary of the PV Patto River survey results yesterday...I might turn out to be wrong, but I have grave fears after reading some of the things in there. Hopefully common sense prevails there.

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”