Heading down to the Peninsula, what is producing at the moment

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Re: Heading down to the Peninsula, what is producing at the moment

Post by wem21 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:31 pm

LachyBell wrote:
wem21 wrote:was at some rocks along mt martha that was about a kilometer from civilisation yesterday morning, we caught 17 pinkes all 35cm+ using placcys and squid caught at the same location within the hour. Also caught around ten salmon that were having a bust up 50m from the shore.
of the mt martha cliffs
I'd rather not say, but it's in the general area of martha

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Mornington pier was pretty packed this evening.
Lots of tiny to small squid being landed on what looked like size 2 or smaller jigs. Red/brown colours were working. I had neither colours in that size but managed 4 on a orange and a pink jig.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Bream? I haven't had a fishless trip in the Kananook Creek of late. The bream I've been catching are mostly small, and I wouldn't want to eat them ... but there are a lot of them.

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:43 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:Bream? I haven't had a fishless trip in the Kananook Creek of late. The bream I've been catching are mostly small, and I wouldn't want to eat them ... but there are a lot of them.
What area of the creek

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:35 pm

LachyBell wrote:
ChrisTaylor wrote:Bream? I haven't had a fishless trip in the Kananook Creek of late. The bream I've been catching are mostly small, and I wouldn't want to eat them ... but there are a lot of them.
What area of the creek
I've spend most sessions at the area in front of Patterson River Secondary College ... in between the foot bridge and the drain. I've been experimenting with other areas of the Creek, too. I've heard good things about the stretch immediately behind the Riveria Hotel, but I've yet to have any luck there. I did see someone pull a decent bream in a couple days ago, though. On chicken, I think.

EDIT

Also, check out the Patterson River. I've just started poking around the area behind the Woolworths supermarket. They've just finished a public jetty, and the area looks promising. I popped down for half a hour after work yesterday and had a really solid hit on a SX40 but failed to hook-up. It was encouraging enough that I'll probably head back tomorrow.

You're also liable to pull a lot of small salmon in when fishing the Kananook Creek. If you're so inclined I guess you could use them -- or the millions of mullet there or in the Woolies section of the Patterson marina -- as bait to attract something edible.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 pm

A few weeks back we smashed the squid off the sisters in Sorrento. Both bagged out in about 2 hours. I can't promise they are still there but they usually are (a double bag in such a short time was better than usual though). Worth a go if you like calamari or hunting for bait.

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 am

ChrisTaylor wrote:
LachyBell wrote:
What area of the creek
I've spend most sessions at the area in front of Patterson River Secondary College ... in between the foot bridge and the drain. I've been experimenting with other areas of the Creek, too. I've heard good things about the stretch immediately behind the Riveria Hotel, but I've yet to have any luck there. I did see someone pull a decent bream in a couple days ago, though. On chicken, I think.

EDIT

Also, check out the Patterson River. I've just started poking around the area behind the Woolworths supermarket. They've just finished a public jetty, and the area looks promising. I popped down for half a hour after work yesterday and had a really solid hit on a SX40 but failed to hook-up. It was encouraging enough that I'll probably head back tomorrow.

You're also liable to pull a lot of small salmon in when fishing the Kananook Creek. If you're so inclined I guess you could use them -- or the millions of mullet there or in the Woolies section of the Patterson marina -- as bait to attract something edible.
What bait or lures have you been using for the bream

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”