Balcombe Creek

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Balcombe Creek

Post by mazman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:45 pm

purple5ive wrote:can someone in the know explain to me what a sea run trout actually is?

ive read in an article somewhere that said Balcombe creek used to have trout in it in the upper reaches..
in short it's a trout that live's at sea then runs up a river to spawn
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:53 pm

mazman wrote:
purple5ive wrote:can someone in the know explain to me what a sea run trout actually is?

ive read in an article somewhere that said Balcombe creek used to have trout in it in the upper reaches..
ok so how come none have been caught in the area before, i mean in the sea around the area?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 pm

purple5ive wrote:
mazman wrote:

ok so how come none have been caught in the area before, i mean in the sea around the area?
I'm not convinced this one is a true sea runner in the first place and then if there is a population of sea runners it will be a small population and they have a lot of ocean to hide in.
Here's a handy link for finding out about sea runners
http://www.tasfish.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=74
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 pm

There's been a small amount come from the estuary before but not many. The creek is connected to Tuerong and Devilbend creeks which are ultimately connected to the reservoir which has been stocked with trout since pretty much the day it was built.

I've caught plenty of Bream in the area off the beach, a true sea run Trout isn't impossible

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Am sure this would be a rare catch in the surf in Australia but a sea run trout is simply a trout that has spent some of its life in salt water and then returned to fresh - usually to breed. In Australia they are Brown Trout but take on a very silvery appearance. There are several rivers in Western Victoria where sea run trout can be targeted but are fairly rare. A few really big ones have been reported caught below the weir at Bairnsdale, and some Tasmanian rivers and estuarys have healthy stocks of sea run trout. Some trout also spend periods in brackish water in estuarys and do not actually go out to sea. If you google "sea run trout fishing in Australia" you will find locations, techniques and other information on them.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:18 am

Paul has provided some good information. Sea run trout used to be quite common in Victoria but since stream stocking of trout more or less ceased in the 1970s they have declined. Many years ago anglers used to target sea run browns with surf fishing tackle in places like the Tarwin River and along the surf coast. Today there are, however, more around than what people think with the key hot spots being rivers near Warrnambool and Sale and there are anglers that specifically target them. Some pretty big brown trout have been taken from estuaries in the bay in excess of 5kg. On the peninsula Balcombe Creek holds a few trout with more being present in Main Creek.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 am

Interesting catch

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:01 am

Only ever caught 1 before, off the beach at Lindisfarne, north east UK.
It was really silver, and went absolutely Berko lol..

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:21 am

I've always wondered if there were sea run trout in the bays, now I know :). Very cool mate, thanks for sharing.

heldzyy

Post by heldzyy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:32 am

TheLoneTurtle wrote:
heldzyy wrote:G’day blokes/ladies

Just after people’s opinion on what they reckon this is!? Caught at the very end near the surf, we think half trout and something else?

Cheers :thumbsup:
did u release it?

Ofocurse mate, got some pics and released, knew it wasn’t something you catch everyday so gave it the chance to create more little beauties! :thumbsup:

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”