Them Winter vibes

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Them Winter vibes

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Greetings.
The weather has been so cold and windy lately its hard to get a window of opportunity to take the boat out.
2 weeks ago i got a chance to head out quickly and have a few hours to fish.
I decided to give these new soft vibes i got recently a go. Bream fishing in winter usually means blades/vibes and plastics so i figured id try a similar approach on the winter bread and butter species roaming around port philip bay.
Well a pic is worth a thousand words. So ill stop writing and let you look at the pic hahaha..
Once the sun started to set they hammered the vibe. Im.guessing anything that went down near them would have got the same treatment..

All caught on spanyid soft vibes in 55mm . Leatherjacket on bait.
Quite a few had to be released due to being undersize.
IMG-20170727-WA0009.jpg
Cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Them Winter vibes

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Nice work mate!
Great feed right there :thumbsup:

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 am

Can i ask top or bottom half of ppb? Btw they are nice sized red mullet. Such a nice fish to catch and eat!

azkay

Post by azkay » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:41 am

Great bag! Good size pinkies too, would have been awesome fun. Thanks for sharing. Been lost as to what to target the last couple of weeks, seeing reports like these gives options on what to do. Are the pinkies out deep? & are they shutting down in the dark?
Az.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 am

Nice work Steve. Have you given the jackall gene's a flick? I really like them. I reckon transams for bigger snapper would be worth a go too...everything loves transams.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:36 am

Lightningx wrote:Nice work mate!
Great feed right there :thumbsup:
:a_goodjob:
rodderslw wrote:Can i ask top or bottom half of ppb? Btw they are nice sized red mullet. Such a nice fish to catch and eat!
Mornington mate, its in the Forum index if you have a look so that people know the general area the fish came from. yeah the red mullet are good size, i got even bigger ones a month ago maybe now, its the biggest ive caught and seen as well, over 35cm those ones were.
azkay wrote:Great bag! Good size pinkies too, would have been awesome fun. Thanks for sharing. Been lost as to what to target the last couple of weeks, seeing reports like these gives options on what to do. Are the pinkies out deep? & are they shutting down in the dark?
Usual targets now are generally pinkies, salmon and squid id say for most people.
The pinkies I find generally like the 6-7m mark and yeah once dark they are going off the chew, but sometimes they go on into the dark.
I don’t have lights in the boat so I generally finish up as its getting dark, which sucks cause that’s when they are feeding like crazy.
Broomstick wrote:Nice work Steve. Have you given the jackall gene's a flick? I really like them. I reckon transams for bigger snapper would be worth a go too...everything loves transams.
Haven’t tried them Pat, way too expensive to throw at these guys hahaha, specially when fishing near reefs, ive already lost 3 of them.
I will definitely try the transam on the snapper this year, any specific colours that work well for that lure? Ive never used it before.
cheers

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:39 am

Broomstick wrote:Nice work Steve. Have you given the jackall gene's a flick? I really like them. I reckon transams for bigger snapper would be worth a go too...everything loves transams.
purple5ive wrote:Haven’t tried them Pat, way too expensive to throw at these guys hahaha, specially when fishing near reefs, ive already lost 3 of them.
I will definitely try the transam on the snapper this year, any specific colours that work well for that lure? Ive never used it before.
cheers
Haha true, they're bloody pricey! I'm never thrown transams down here (except unsuccessfully for Jews) but I love them up north - everything eats them. My fave colours are the pink eye, brown suji, and clear pink head.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:45 am

brown suji,a nd pink eye brown suji are one of my favourites in chubbies I didn’t know transams came in the same colour, ill check them out, might have to change the hooks i think.
Cheers

azkay

Post by azkay » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:48 am

What kind of light fit out you got in mind Steve? Snapper seasons coming soon, heheh,.
Az.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:11 am

azkay wrote:What kind of light fit out you got in mind Steve? Snapper seasons coming soon, heheh,.
Yeah not sure man, ive got a unique hull and an inherited problem cause of that.
I have foam filled dual skin gunwales, so the usual strip light under the gunnels wont work, unless you like light glaring into your face.
Combine that with an open centre console means no rocket launchers or biminis to mount lights on.
Im looking into either a light pole on the console or small courtesy style lights on the sides of the casting deck / centre console areas.
Have to get something done soon before the early morning starts for snapper season.
Last season I only had Portable LED nav lights on, and it was still 2xbrighter than some of the older boats launching that had incandescent type globes in their nav lights

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”