Mixed Bag Mania

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Mixed Bag Mania

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:59 pm

With the recent good weather about, I decided to take dad and my cousin out on a quick trip to Mornington.
Weather looked reasonably good for Saturday, so we packed the boat and headed off for a fish.

After a lumpy ride to our fishing grounds, we set up camp and started to throw some baits out. I had to rig up the rods for my dad and cousin as they are both still learning.
after getting them ready I cast out my favourite plastic and no sooner than the first twitch I felt a very unique feeling, yep a squid of some sort. after a very decent tug of war I saw some colour, a massive arrow my second on a soft plastic and easily my PB.
Took quite a while to get him into the net as my cousin was trying to net it, and its his first time using a landing net, my dad was laughing in the background and telling him to be carefull and I told him to be quite :-D….
I must say im disappointed that he didn’t get sprayed in the face by the squid. I was 100% sure he would cop it, but alas it never happened.
Anyway we continued and dad and my cousin started to catch some undersized flathead, and so did I almost every drop was a fish and amongst the undersized ones, there were a few keepers..

We moved in a bit shallower, and got into a good patch of pinkies mixed in with red mullet, we kept a few red mullet and released the undersized pinkies, fish after fish was being caught when suddenly my line started to scream off midwater, I instantly knew what it was, salmon and it was quite a decent fish running 6lb I had to play it out and tire it, while the fish was slogging it out in the deep I could see heaps of others the same size following it around. I yelled out to the other two to grab some slugs and cast it out, but I was met with silence… they were both standing there with a confused look, yep one had busted his line on a snag and the other was snagged, and neither of them knew how to tie knots… :(
I was cursing under my breath lollll.. so I had to bring the fish in and spend valuable time, cutting off rigs and tying on slugs for both only for the fish to disappear :(
Disappointed I retied on one rod with a rig and left the other one still with a slug. About 20 min later a mini bust up around the boat and I screamed at my dad and cousin to throw the slug in there while I fired off a cast into the school, I didn’t even have time to wind the slack line in before the line started peeling off again.. looked around to the other 2 and one is snagged AGAIN f@#$^%$%$# and the other has a tangle, I couldn’t believe the **** luck they were having lolllll so I had to land the fish and fix the rigs again..

The next 30 mins or so after was absolute mayhem, red mullet were out in force and they hammered anything that went near them, plastics , baits even slugs with bait on them (yep my dads idea) I cant remember how many I caught but took home about 10 between 3 people and we had to leave them biting cause it started to get dark and we had to be home to go to a party soon.
Heres couple of pics that we managed to get.
2 salmon, 9-10 or so red mullet, 4 flathead and an arrow squid, plus lots of undersized pinkies and some barber perch
cheers
2017-06-13 15.54.23.jpg
IMG-20170613-WA0001.jpg
Last edited by purple5ive on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Mixed Bag Mania

Post by Nude up » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Nice mixed bag sounds like everybody had fun

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Nice work. How'd the red mullet go on the plate? Have heard good things about them

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Nude up wrote:Nice mixed bag sounds like everybody had fun
yeah my cousins first fishing experience and it didnt dissapoint.

ducky wrote:Nice work. How'd the red mullet go on the plate? Have heard good things about them
ill let you know how it goes. havent eaten the mullet yet, ive also heard they are excellent eating hence why i decided to keep some this time and try them.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Nice work mate!
Great mixed bag.
Heard those red mullet are very nice eating.
Sounds like everyone had a nice day on the water.
It's great when a plan comes together :P

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Nice bag

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Thats just showing off mate

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks for the report. Some good fish there. The red mullet are good to eat. Fillet them and crisp up the. Skin in a pan. They cook quickly, serve with an acidic sauce or dressing as they are slightly oily.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:55 pm

ducky wrote:Nice work. How'd the red mullet go on the plate? Have heard good things about them
Red mullet are very good eating mate they are a popular in a lot of Mediterranean cuisines. Being from a Maltese background myself I can say they are delicious especially in a casserole or paella or anything with a tomato based sauce.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Nice! I went out off mornington on sat myself, although went out deep looking for a snapper, but couldnt sound any arches, ended with 20-25 flatties between 30-36cm which was a nice dinner regardless. Plagues of small ones out there though.

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”