Mt Martha 1/11

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Mt Martha 1/11

Post by 4liters » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:31 am

The high tide, on-shore wind and sunrise all looked like they were perfectly aligned for a session off the rocks at Mt Martha this morning. I was out the door at 2am with the help of a couple of No Doze and with bugger all traffic reached the spot by 3am. That kind of dedication/stupidity clearly paid dividends because I was the only one there when I arrived and was able to grab pole position in front of a bit of reef. This turned out to be a very good thing because it wasn't long before more people showed up and threats of cutting lines if they got tangled started being exchanged between the latecomers.

First cast cracked off and a brand new breakaway sinker and pulley rig went sailing out into the darkness. With the wind blowing straight into our faces it was pretty hard to get much distance, with the rigs lucky to get more than 40m out. Right on sunrise the fish started biting, one of my rods and the rod of the bloke set up next to me went off at the same time and we both landed a mid 40s pinkie, and not long after I got another at 50cm. Once the sun got up a little higher the bite window seemed to close. Most people got at least one fish which was good. Apparently some people 100m south of us almost landed a really big one but lost it at the rocks. We persisted for a while, a pike head I sent out looked like it was getting some interest but I think the water temps might still be too low for the snapper to be feeding aggressively enough to inhale an entire fish head. All my fish took squid from saturday's trip to Shoreham, others got theirs on pillies.

The others decided to pack up at about 9.30 and I left shortly after without any other bites.

Snapper weather

My first red carp for the season

From talking to the people fishing next to me it sounded like yesterday was a good day down there too. Might need to find another landbased option because the weather over the weekend looks ****** for kayaking
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Barnsieboy

Re: Mt Martha 1/11

Post by Barnsieboy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:36 am

Nice one mate !

At least you got something to show for your efforts. :-)

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:38 am

yeah, 50cm is a new pb for me. not much compared to the fish some people seem to be able to pull in regularly but progress nonetheless
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:49 am

Congrats on your new PB mate. Nice report :thumbsup:

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Nice catch. What pulley rig did you use? The black magic ones?

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:21 pm

love your reports 4litres i would have gone their this weekend but i went camping in blackwood and froze my ass off chasing trout.
Any squid about or were you just chasing the red carp

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:34 pm

ecoronad wrote:Nice catch. What pulley rig did you use? The black magic ones?
I make my own with imp clips and pulley beads from busted fishing. I used the black magic ones once but they're so expensive

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:37 pm

mcbain wrote:love your reports 4litres i would have gone their this weekend but i went camping in blackwood and froze my ass off chasing trout.
Any squid about or were you just chasing the red carp
I kept it simple and focused on the snapper
You'd struggle to get a squid in those conditions anyway, the water was pretty stirred up and any jig you cast would probably get blown back over your head and end up halfway up the cliff.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Well done on your PB great catch :cheers:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”