Landbased fishing Mt.Martha rocks

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
nhillboy

Landbased fishing Mt.Martha rocks

Post by nhillboy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 am

Fished Mt.Martha rocks this morning 5.30am to 8.30am. Westerly 20-25 knots and rough water was superb and light rain on and off most of morning. Fishing action slow landing 2 Aust. Salmon 1x40cm and 1x30cm on blue bait. Water temp was around 13 deg but i had to get out and see if any Snapper/pinkys were around. John a local fishing next to me bagged 3 Salmon 30-40cm. Will wait for water temp to rise before visiting Martha again.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Landbased fishing Mt.Martha rocks

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Still not bad. won't be long before the snapped are there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:Still not bad. won't be long before the snapped are there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Would anyone be interested in introducing a new discussion topic on rock fishing in this forum? For example, sharing info about what works better when you do rock fishing. Sorry, don't know how to frame and open up a new topic but happy to make contributions if anyone kicks this topic off with good outline. I am sure there are a few of us who enjoy fishing off rocky areas but I believe there has been no serious discussion on this topic.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 pm

this is it hskim00. Mount Martha rocks is indeed choked full of jagged rocks. Safety first when rock fishing - no running, be sure-footed, never turn your back on the water, DO NOT FISH ALONE specially if you are not familiar with the area.

Nhill, any word of cala in the rocks?

salmon on bait? hmmmn, I am itching to throw some metal slugs than soak bait. Will try when weather favors spinning. :-)
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Fish-cador wrote:this is it hskim00. Mount Martha rocks is indeed choked full of jagged rocks. Safety first when rock fishing - no running, be sure-footed, never turn your back on the water, DO NOT FISH ALONE specially if you are not familiar with the area.

Nhill, any word of cala in the rocks?

salmon on bait? hmmmn, I am itching to throw some metal slugs than soak bait. Will try when weather favors spinning. :-)
I totally agree with you FC that safety should always come first whenever you do rock fishing. Well... I normally go and fish alone off rocks in Mt Martha and Mornington areas but am always cautious about weather conditions (up to 15 knot), tides (prefer low tide) and times (when sun is up). I started fishing in rocky areas to avoid crowds at any other land based spots (mainly piers; can't read beach so haven't tried surf fishing or beach fishing yet) and now I kind of enjoy doing this as I produce better results and don't get stressed out much by the crowd. :water: But, I often find, apart from natural restrictions at times, that there are few other challenges too, such as endless losses of tackles to rocks and weeds on the ground so good preparation is always essential before departing to the intended destination.

What outfit or setup would you prefer to use for rock fishing, of course depending on species you target? For pinky snapper (never caught bigger than 50cm off rocks) or sambo, I tend to use not bigger than 10ft rods, main line from 12lb to 20lb, leader up to 60lb, paternoster rig with a 2 or 3oz bomb shaped sinker (much easier to pull out than star sinker when snagged) and a single dropper with a circle hook or double hooks for larger species ranging from 1/0 to 4/0. For cala and gar, I just use the same methods that are used at any other land based locations. Haven't tried other species but caught odd sharks a few times, and have seen other people catching leatherjackets.

Is there anyone keen to share own knowledge or to make comment on setup, bait choices and so on when fishing in rocky areas?

dave_k

Post by dave_k » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Where are the spot to fish from land in Mt Martha. I have tried bird rock and mt Martha rocks at the end of hearn rd. Has been a little hit and miss.... do get a few squid from bird rock around dusk or dawn

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:49 pm

dave_k wrote:Where are the spot to fish from land in Mt Martha. I have tried bird rock and mt Martha rocks at the end of hearn rd. Has been a little hit and miss.... do get a few squid from bird rock around dusk or dawn
you have to stand on the LUCKY rock to nail them. :roflmao: No idea mate. I just fish there for gars and I always go to the rocks at the end of Hearn rd. :dontknow
Last edited by Fish-cador on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
dave_k wrote:Where are the spot to fish from land in Mt Martha. I have tried bird rock and mt Martha rocks at the end of hearn rd. Has been a little hit and miss.... do get a few squid from bird rock around dusk or dawn
you have to stand on the LUCKY rock to nail them. :roflmao: No idea mate. I just fish there for gars and I always go to the rocks at the enad of Hearn rd. :dontknow

No secret spot fisha cador???????????? :roflmao: :bolt:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:08 pm

psara1 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
you have to stand on the LUCKY rock to nail them. :roflmao: No idea mate. I just fish there for gars and I always go to the rocks at the enad of Hearn rd. :dontknow

the lucky rock is the secret. Find it and you can fill your bucket. :roflmao:
====
Words of wisdom:
====

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
psara1 wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:

the lucky rock is the secret. Find it and you can fill your bucket. :roflmao:
Bahahaha :lol:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”