Dromana report..

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Dromana report..

Post by hornet » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Sorry no pictures guy's..

5 of us fished Dromana beach Saturday night half a kilometer south of the pier, started fishing about 7.30 pm after the bathers and jet ski's left.

We caught 19 KG whiting between us, we were casting out about 20 meters into a channel running parallel to the beach, a handful of burley every 15 minutes kept them around.

I must say it was the most unlikely looking beach, no features, no weed, no rocks, nothing ? only the channel they were using to travel up and down.

Baits were squid,pipi,safe way green prawn cut into cubes.

Never discount a busy looking beach, wait till every ones gone and fish into the night, you may be surprised !

As side note I ended up with a hook in my thumb ! I was pulling a knot tight and the line slipped and pow ! into my thumb !
Spent the next 45 minutes pulling and prodding till the hole was big enough for the barb to come out, this is the second time in my life
Once when I was 13 and now at 58, all the memories of how painful it was the first time came flooding back
so take your time and don't rush rigging up..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

GONE FISHING

Re: Dromana report..

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Good haul mate! Pity about your finger though... That's gotta hurt.

Great report!!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:33 am

Nice bag of KGW :a_goodjob:

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:48 am

Very well done :cheers:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:31 am

hornet wrote:Sorry no pictures guy's..

5 of us fished Dromana beach Saturday night half a kilometer south of the pier, started fishing about 7.30 pm after the bathers and jet ski's left.

We caught 19 KG whiting between us, we were casting out about 20 meters into a channel running parallel to the beach, a handful of burley every 15 minutes kept them around.

I must say it was the most unlikely looking beach, no features, no weed, no rocks, nothing ? only the channel they were using to travel up and down.

Baits were squid,pipi,safe way green prawn cut into cubes.

Never discount a busy looking beach, wait till every ones gone and fish into the night, you may be surprised !

As side note I ended up with a hook in my thumb ! I was pulling a knot tight and the line slipped and pow ! into my thumb !
Spent the next 45 minutes pulling and prodding till the hole was big enough for the barb to come out, this is the second time in my life
Once when I was 13 and now at 58, all the memories of how painful it was the first time came flooding back
so take your time and don't rush rigging up..
nice work there mate! To bad about ur thumb!

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:47 am

Great job mate, I might have to start trying a few of the beaches around Dromana and McCrae. My usual spot at Anthony's Nose has been flooded with people lately.

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:09 am

Great job off the beach!

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:50 am

tommyfishunter wrote:Great job mate, I might have to start trying a few of the beaches around Dromana and McCrae. My usual spot at Anthony's Nose has been flooded with people lately.
Anthony's Nose has been flooded, pity that it's people fishing that don't even know what they're doing to catch fish.

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:52 am

hornet wrote:Never discount a busy looking beach, wait till every ones gone and fish into the night, you may be surprised !
Totally agree, went down one night after training and was surprised at the amount of whiting that came in and mullet as well. Mind you the beach was packed so when everyone left the fish come out, not sure if it's the swimmers digging out the ground when swimming etc and the food come out for the fish..

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:00 am

Ouch! I've come close to hooking myself the same way a few times.. The excitement sets in when your mates are already catching and your still trying to tie rigs! I do them at home now.. I still get beaten to the fish but my thumbs are thanking me for it!

Thanks for the report btw. I was more than surprised to find the kgw can turn up at Parkdale beach.. I wonder If all the swimmers know they're swimming around some of the most sought after fish for the tableI I wonder if there is still a few around there..
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”