Mornington Pier 25/3

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
acfisher

Mornington Pier 25/3

Post by acfisher » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:37 am

Went for a walk down the pier after a 3 hour session with mornington boat hire (great guys, highly recommend them). Didn't catch any keepers, we stayed pretty tight to the shore and got a pinky then went out to one of the yellow markers and got about 20 undersized flatty in 15 minutes.

Anyway back to the pier, right at the end guys were pulling in fish left right and centre, some on floats and some using a paternoster with a tiny sinker, all the same fish which I assumed were salmon however one of the more experienced fishos on the pier told me they were slimy mackerel. He reckons they're a great live bait to put back in, all I know about them is that the poms love to eat em and they're real popular throughout Europe. Do many people eat them here, would you actually target them or are they just a by-catch?

Larksy88

Re: Mornington Pier 25/3

Post by Larksy88 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:42 am

acfisher wrote:Went for a walk down the pier after a 3 hour session with mornington boat hire (great guys, highly recommend them). Didn't catch any keepers, we stayed pretty tight to the shore and got a pinky then went out to one of the yellow markers and got about 20 undersized flatty in 15 minutes.

Anyway back to the pier, right at the end guys were pulling in fish left right and centre, some on floats and some using a paternoster with a tiny sinker, all the same fish which I assumed were salmon however one of the more experienced fishos on the pier told me they were slimy mackerel. He reckons they're a great live bait to put back in, all I know about them is that the poms love to eat em and they're real popular throughout Europe. Do many people eat them here, would you actually target them or are they just a by-catch?
the people catching them no floats would probably be targeting garfish. I wouldnt eat them but they are dynamite bait

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Mackeral are quite popular in Asian countries as well. Commonly used with salt/spice rubs and hung to air dry before being used in an array of cooking methods.

Lightning

Post by Lightning » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Did u see any gars being caught at all or squid???

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”