Squid/Salmon at Hearn Road

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
GTSHoon

Re: Squid/Salmon at Hearn Road

Post by GTSHoon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:43 am

Yep, been down twice in the last 2 weeks and got 3 squid on one trip then 7 on the next as well as a few salmon caught to :)
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:44 am

Aaron75 wrote:Fished Hearn Rd a few times in the last two weeks and haven't even had a bite yet. Thought today would be the day, got down there just before daybreak and threw lures around until just after high tide - rotated with some salmon lures, squid jigs and SP's on jigheads - still nothing.

Is anyone else having any success there lately?

You need to pick a the right spot and match the conditions to what you are trying to do. In my experience, the more of a cross or onshore wind you get the better the salmon fishing will be. Squid do better in the flatter water.

Flathead sit on the sand and squid sit in the weeds / reef. Pinkies sit everywhere. Salmon are a very mobile species and will come and go wherever they damn well please.

If you're fishing for squid, cast your jigs at the darker patches, count the sink rate until they hit the bottom then go 2 seconds LESS than that for the hop retrieve back. For flatties bounce any soft plastic along the sandy patches or often over the reef as well. For salmon, you'll often be able to see baitfish busting the surface or birds diving on them. Target these area's with your slugs.

There is no point casting a squid jig at a plain sandy patch (like the bottom immediately under the bus shelter). You're just wasting your time. Pick your target species and target them appropriately, 45 mins either side of dusk or dawn almost always creates better opportunities than the middle of the day. Cloud cover helps, especially at low tide.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Nice stuff dougie

Better than nothing !

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

George7

Post by George7 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Well im giving tomorrow morning a crack at martha. Going to fish an few hrs either side of the hig tide at about 830. Wind has picked up from 7knots to 13 in the last few days but is blowing a sse so im hoping it is going to be a worthwhile trip....

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Not sure about the Easterly, but I've generally had success with an onshore wind there.
Offshore is a bit hit and miss if you ask me.
Still fish either side of high tide and just before sunrise have been my best times (with onshore wind).
But that's only my experience.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:41 pm

The Calas have definitely been more productive on dusk/dawn lately, there is still a fair few around, i would be changing your jig colour every 10-15 casts until you find the right one

But as Dougie said if you want squid, the reefy section on the right is the place to be

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:53 pm

George7 wrote:Well im giving tomorrow morning a crack at martha. Going to fish an few hrs either side of the hig tide at about 830. Wind has picked up from 7knots to 13 in the last few days but is blowing a sse so im hoping it is going to be a worthwhile trip....

This looks like good timing for a session.

Pay attention to what larksy said about jig color, he and i regularly clean up down there.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

George7

Post by George7 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:59 pm

Well i went there this morning. Got there at 730, high tide was 830. Water was glassed out and it wasnt windy at all. Very clear water.

Started casting out and nothing. No squid following them back or cruising around close by or anything. Fished til about 10 then decided it was no good and gave blaigowrie pier a crack. Donuts again and after a quick bite of cala from the fish shop we gave martha another crack on the way home. Now it was approaching the low tide. Fished from about 1 til 230. Nothing again.

Now one thing todays fishing experience has done is put me against braid... i reckon i spent an hr all up untangling, retying because of braid knots. Absolute pain in the arse. [ANGRY FACE]

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:44 pm

The key is to let the jig sink to near the bottom where the squid are you will get some snags, but thats where the squid are, rotate jig colours and sizes. Some days they want a snack and not a banquet. Move around as well as some days they have found a different weed patch to be on.

If you are not getting any distance with your cast the other thing to try is burley up, the burley should bring the gars, leatherjackets and sweep in close gives the squid something to look at and you can generally get them closer in. Some things for you to try.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:39 am

Exactly what poodoo said! Definitely listen to the guy he is a squid master!
Also as far as your braid goes, did you wind it in under tension as if you wind in loose line you will get knots, if not I am not sure as to why your braid is knotting up except maybe the spool is over filled?
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”