Squid/Salmon at Hearn Road

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
George7

Re: Squid/Salmon at Hearn Road

Post by George7 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:35 am

Plenty of good advice here. Thanks.

The braid on my spool was put on by the bloke at the fishing shop, its also back filled with mono. Ill get a photo when i get a chance...

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:58 am

Spent a couple of hours down there at first light this morning, got one 17cm squid - at least it's a start. Some awesome info here, thanks Doug for sharing.

A huge stingray spent about twenty minutes playing right in front of my feet, it was pretty cool to see.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:02 am

Aaron75 wrote:Spent a couple of hours down there at first light this morning, got one 17cm squid - at least it's a start. Some awesome info here, thanks Doug for sharing.

Great work mate, once you start to break the code you wonder how it took so long to do. Took me about 6 months to really figure them out. Would have been tough going this morning with the N wind.
Aaron75 wrote:A huge stingray spent about twenty minutes playing right in front of my feet, it was pretty cool to see.
You really don't want to hook him.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Aaron75

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:34 am

DougieK wrote:Great work mate, once you start to break the code you wonder how it took so long to do. Took me about 6 months to really figure them out. Would have been tough going this morning with the N wind.
Cheers mate, I think I'm getting a little closer each time....

I got there about 5.30 and it was dead calm, beautiful conditions for the first hour or so. starting blowing about 7am and it got harder.

DougieK wrote:You really don't want to hook him.
Yeah I wasn't sure what to do... I wound in my lure over the top of him as fast as I could then I just watched him for a while, I've never seen one before.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:36 am

Aaron75 wrote: Yeah I wasn't sure what to do... I wound in my lure over the top of him as fast as I could then I just watched him for a while, I've never seen one before.
Carl has a video of me foul hooking one on a plastic and getting smoked. If he ever figures out how to use Facetube we might get him to upload it.

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Remember, Red foiled/lumo jigs for night. Gold foiled/lumo for low light dawn and dusk.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Aaron75

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:09 am

DougieK wrote:
Sounds like you've got the right idea. Remember, Red foiled/lumo jigs for night. Gold foiled/lumo for low light dawn and dusk.
Thanks mate, I only have a couple of basic jigs but I'll definitely be investing in more before my next attempt.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:11 am

DougieK wrote:
Aaron75 wrote:A huge stingray spent about twenty minutes playing right in front of my feet, it was pretty cool to see.
You really don't want to hook him.
Can testify to this, Cam and I went down there and both hooked and lost it. I was using a 12ft surf rod of unknown weight, fairly heavy, not a chance and Cam was using a spheros 18000 (correct me if i'm wrong) loaded with 60lb braid on a 10-15kg tcurve and he didn't even look like stopping it.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:22 am

I'd is the one missing half is tail. Then it's been thew for about 14 years or so. Well that's when the guy I spoke to about it started fishing there. Could have been there much longer who knows. Is a resident ray. Numbers for the divers that spearfish there lol. .. seen one got play hide and seek with it was funny to watch

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:25 am

purple5ive wrote:I'd is the one missing half is tail. Then it's been thew for about 14 years or so. Well that's when the guy I spoke to about it started fishing there. Could have been there much longer who knows. Is a resident ray. Numbers for the divers that spearfish there lol. .. seen one got play hide and seek with it was funny to watch
His name is stumpy! :thumbsup:

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”