Anyone else fishing gummies tonight with the moon?

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Anyone else fishing gummies tonight with the moon?

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 am

TheLoneTurtle wrote:Try launching your boat from Corinella pier/ Grantville and fish around towards stockyard point, big mulloway, snapper and gummy shark hang around that area often.

I would say the eastern side of western port produces better then the western side.
My boats moored at Yaringa, so I just launch from there and go wherever. Usually out on western port 2 or 3 times a week. Top end pretty slow now compared to how it was firing in my opinion. Want to fish down south but the wind is the culprit at the moment

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:20 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
rb85 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
rb85 wrote:What about rods? Action?

Ugly Stiks Gold 6-10kg strong rod has decent amount of flex i guess you’d say
Shimano baitrunner OC 6000
May be a case of the fish feeling the weight of the rod. Not soft enough in the tip rod being unable to load up properly.
I could see that being a problem. Hmm
Could just loosen your drag more
I normally use a 15 to 30lb rod and have the drag set so the water doesnt the line out

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Its more a case of allowing the fish to load up the rod with a stiff rod the fish will feel tension straight away, loose drag won't allow the rod to load.

Thats where a softer tip allows with a good curve through to the butt section will allow you to fish with your drag set correctly and give you plenty of fighting power.

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:19 pm

rb85 wrote:Its more a case of allowing the fish to load up the rod with a stiff rod the fish will feel tension straight away, loose drag won't allow the rod to load.

Thats where a softer tip allows with a good curve through to the butt section will allow you to fish with your drag set correctly and give you plenty of fighting power.
I doubt that is a problem, I mean people used to catch them on big fat fiberglass for years and had no problem catching them, I reckon location and luck play more of a part than anything else as well as bait

rb85

Post by rb85 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm

cantcatchem wrote:
rb85 wrote:Its more a case of allowing the fish to load up the rod with a stiff rod the fish will feel tension straight away, loose drag won't allow the rod to load.

I doubt that is a problem, I mean people used to catch them on big fat fiberglass for years and had no problem catching them, I reckon location and luck play more of a part than anything else as well as bait
1%ers pay off when the fishing is tough. Definitely helps on snapper too.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 pm

cantcatchem wrote:

Dont you want the gummy to chew on the bait with out pressure on the line and then as the gummy swims away gets tension on the line and the hook grabs in the mouth.
So the sensitivity of the rod wouldnt matter

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:17 pm

I reckon it plays a part in hook up. I’ve had Snapper buckle on another rod that has a lighter tip more flexible and never had a problem. But when it’s come to my ugly stick gold, I’ve had a snapper hit it then spit the bait and jag him in the side of the fin. I wouldn’t discount that. Never had a problem with hook up on gummies previoisly though. They’ve always screamed off.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:21 pm

smile0784 wrote:
cantcatchem wrote:

Dont you want the gummy to chew on the bait with out pressure on the line and then as the gummy swims away gets tension on the line and the hook grabs in the mouth.
Absolutely it matters unless they are just smashing the baits. The fish can feel the tension of the rod up the line the lighter tip absorbs that as the fish chews on the bait drag set correctly allows your circle hook to work.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:29 pm

rb85 wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
cantcatchem wrote:

Absolutely it matters unless they are just smashing the baits. The fish can feel the tension of the rod up the line the lighter tip absorbs that as the fish chews on the bait drag set correctly allows your circle hook to work.
Fair enough might try that. See if it helps

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
TheLoneTurtle wrote:Try launching your boat from Corinella pier/ Grantville and fish around towards stockyard point, big mulloway, snapper and gummy shark hang around that area often.

I would say the eastern side of western port produces better then the western side.
My boats moored at Yaringa, so I just launch from there and go wherever. Usually out on western port 2 or 3 times a week. Top end pretty slow now compared to how it was firing in my opinion. Want to fish down south but the wind is the culprit at the moment
Yeah, i launched from tooradin a few times, caught some pinkies, flathead nothing special.
Then i went out in carrum with a friend and got a 5kg snapper on soft plastics :thumbsup:

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”