Anyone else fishing gummies tonight with the moon?

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Anyone else fishing gummies tonight with the moon?

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:25 pm

smile0784 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
rb85 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
Bad luck buddy. You were so confident too. Did you boat anything at all? Change spots?

Many lice about?

Welcome to westernport. Just when you think you got it worked out it kicks tou in the balls.
Im going out tomorrow arvo. Might try for a few whiting and pinkies. Then the big grey at night.
I stuck it out for whole tide. Couple Banjos, Big Ray. Also had some very aggressive mouthings/hits of bait looked exactly like a Gummy, completely crushed a Yakka head and took whole chunk of salmon, no hook up tho.. 7/0 Circle with drag set about 2kg.. idk. Was good experience though. Itching to get back out at night again, hopefully can make my way down south next time.
What gear/rigs were you using bait etc? Did you make sure your bait doesn't spin?
Salmon, Trevally, Yakkas as chunk baits
30lb braid, shock leader, 80lb leader
7/0 gama circle
always make sure bait doesn't spin. If it does i re rig it again until i get it right
Sounds like your doing everything rite.
Did you try squid?

Keep it up and you will get one eventually
Couldn’t get one last night, had every bait but squid I think.. never caught gummies in Squid, I’ve always got them on trevs Salmon and yakkas. Whole head baits? Or like a classic squid ring snapper bait?

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 pm

rb85 wrote:Sounds like you got the basics right mate.

I know the basics, I feel I’m struggling with selecting locations to be honest

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Kosta7 wrote:Maybe land based you will have more luck :tongue:
Keep at it bro! You are doing so well, the big fish will come :thumbsup:

Haven’t had a fish on the sand in months. Might be an option soon. Haha I was doing well idk what’s happened.. my streak has come to a hault haha. Hopefully it does. Just gotta keep going out and learning on the way

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 pm

If u get a few squid on the way out put on a big squid strip on twin 6/0s or if u get little squid u can put them on whole once again on the twin 6/0s. I get most of my gummies on squid but I fish a different area to u but worth a try

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 pm

KgWhiting wrote:If u get a few squid on the way out put on a big squid strip on twin 6/0s or if u get little squid u can put them on whole once again on the twin 6/0s. I get most of my gummies on squid but I fish a different area to u but worth a try
Thats what my mates do

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:46 am

STriplett1997 wrote:
rb85 wrote:What about rods? Action?

Ugly Stiks Gold 6-10kg strong rod has decent amount of flex i guess you’d say
Shimano baitrunner OC 6000
May be a case of the fish feeling the weight of the rod. Not soft enough in the tip rod being unable to load up properly.

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:01 am

Try launching your boat from Corinella pier/ Grantville and fish around towards stockyard point, big mulloway, snapper and gummy shark hang around that area often.

I would say the eastern side of western port produces better then the western side.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:33 am

STriplett1997 wrote:
Bayrock wrote:Mate hop on board with Shaun from Think Big for some tuition, he'll point you in the right direction.
Very kind and knowledgeable guy.

Have thought about it, Think Big has the reputation. It was only my first overnight session, not too experienced with it yet, or Gummys either for that matter. Will just keep trying
If your happy with just a dead of small gummies then fish shallow (1-2m max) either side of a high tide. Places in the higher reaches of western port like Lang Lang and jam jerrup are littered with 3 foot gummies coming up on the banks to feed on crabs and what not. Use prawn and pilchards, can't go wrong.

If you want bigger trophy sized gummies then I reckon the deeper waters around codes, western entrance, buoy 13 etc are your best bets if not offshore. Fresh chunk and fillet baits work best in this situation but I dont target big gummies that often.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:11 am

Kimtown wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Bayrock wrote:Mate hop on board with Shaun from Think Big for some tuition, he'll point you in the right direction.
Very kind and knowledgeable guy.

Have thought about it, Think Big has the reputation. It was only my first overnight session, not too experienced with it yet, or Gummys either for that matter. Will just keep trying
If your happy with just a dead of small gummies then fish shallow (1-2m max) either side of a high tide. Places in the higher reaches of western port like Lang Lang and jam jerrup are littered with 3 foot gummies coming up on the banks to feed on crabs and what not. Use prawn and pilchards, can't go wrong.

If you want bigger trophy sized gummies then I reckon the deeper waters around codes, western entrance, buoy 13 etc are your best bets if not offshore. Fresh chunk and fillet baits work best in this situation but I dont target big gummies that often.
Not really interested in doing that, caught smaller 4kg ones top and north arm. Western entrance between Buoy 16 - 6 is where id ideally like to fish. First time all nighter yesterday, didn’t want to head down that way at night just yet.
Last edited by STriplett1997 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 am

rb85 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
rb85 wrote:What about rods? Action?

Ugly Stiks Gold 6-10kg strong rod has decent amount of flex i guess you’d say
Shimano baitrunner OC 6000
May be a case of the fish feeling the weight of the rod. Not soft enough in the tip rod being unable to load up properly.
I could see that being a problem. Hmm

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”