Stony Point Tips

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Stony Point Tips

Post by wem21 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi all,
Dad is going to stony point this saturday with a few mates and asked me to come along. Course I agreed, but I want some time prepping for what I can catch landbased there. So, 1.What can I catch? 2.What rigs should I use? 3.What bait/lures?
Cheers

jasew3

Re: Stony Point Tips

Post by jasew3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Gday Mate
Personally I think don't bother fishing there.
many years ago b4 the pier was closed on the left handside I use to catch heaps of fish there trevally, leatherjackets flatties etc, but most of the pier is perm closed due to the terrorists attacks the gov decided to try and protect our boats around the pier etc. So I would either try at flinders or try ur luck by getting the ferry over to French island for the day which is a great spot to relax and fish or maybe try at Corinella area.
Goodluck and hope u all catch sumthing
cheers Jase

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

I ve been fishing there a lot and you can catch leather jackets, squid, grass whiting, flatties and the odd gummy. It’s a tricky pier as the current is running really strong. Also lots and lots of toadies. If you have big baits cast towards the green pylons. You need 4-6oz sinkers. If you are just targeting the smaller species/squid fish the right hand side. Also lots of weed lately on the outgoing tide. If you see the seals hanging around just pack up and go to Hastings or Flinders. Good luck

wem21

Post by wem21 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 pm

thanks

wem21

Post by wem21 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Kosta7 wrote:I ve been fishing there a lot and you can catch leather jackets, squid, grass whiting, flatties and the odd gummy. It’s a tricky pier as the current is running really strong. Also lots and lots of toadies. If you have big baits cast towards the green pylons. You need 4-6oz sinkers. If you are just targeting the smaller species/squid fish the right hand side. Also lots of weed lately on the outgoing tide. If you see the seals hanging around just pack up and go to Hastings or Flinders. Good luck
Do you think its worth chucking a few soft plastics or hardbodies around?

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 am

wem21 wrote:
Kosta7 wrote:I ve been fishing there a lot and you can catch leather jackets, squid, grass whiting, flatties and the odd gummy. It’s a tricky pier as the current is running really strong. Also lots and lots of toadies. If you have big baits cast towards the green pylons. You need 4-6oz sinkers. If you are just targeting the smaller species/squid fish the right hand side. Also lots of weed lately on the outgoing tide. If you see the seals hanging around just pack up and go to Hastings or Flinders. Good luck
Do you think its worth chucking a few soft plastics or hardbodies around?
Yeah absolutely. High tide on either side of the pier. At night you can also cast metals and hardbodies for snook/couta.

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”