Shoreham Beach Session 16 December

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
WayneK

Shoreham Beach Session 16 December

Post by WayneK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi guys and girls,

Took my 9 y.o. and 13 y.o. fishing down to Shoreham beach last Saturday night. Lovely, balmy night and polo shirts were enough to keep everyone warm. Got to the beach at 9.00 pm to fish the last 2 hours of the run-in tide (hoping for a gummy). Used fresh squid cut into rings and hooked onto suitable circle hooks. Result, one nice snapper caught in the first 10 minutes by my eldest boy. Thank heavens we took home a feed because the rest of the session was a nightmare! Weed,... seriously, marine Trifids, made the session a nightmare. The boys kept yelling out that they had strikes but, unfortunately, they all proved to be the dreaded Trifids that were plaguing the beach. Question: Is this beach normally such a PITA for weed?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Shoreham Beach Session 16 December

Post by 4liters » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:02 pm

It just depends down there. Some nights it’ll be perfect, others will be unfishable. I don’t know of any way to predict it either unfortunately. Best you can do is use big surf rods, keep your lines tight and hope the height of the rods keeps the line out of the worst of the weed in the shore break
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

WayneK

Post by WayneK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks for your reply, 4liters. The boys were using their trusty Gunnamatta rods - 9 ft Shimano Catana's. Perhaps not long enough to get the required distance. Oh well, we'll the give the beach another try on a calmer night - perhaps after a few days of northerly winds. The thing that distinguished the weed at this beach from all the weed I've experienced at other beaches was its ability to grip the line. I mean, seriously grip the line! I've never experienced anything like it and we were fishing with 10 kg monofilament. (I know it's light line but that's the way I'm educating my boys.)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Love those nice balmy nights.
At least you got a feed :P

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:25 pm