Who's going to flinders tomorrow morning?

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
soulstar
Has liked: 6 times

Who's going to flinders tomorrow morning?

Post by soulstar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 pm

G'day lads,

I was thinking of heading down to flinders tomorrow morning (3am) to go catch squid and a potential gummy or 2 haha! Wind will be fresh 34kms/h, though I'll be going on the pier! Picked up 4 nice squid jiggs! Anyone know what colours work best in flinders waters? (Jig 2.5)
Any tips from fisherman that have been fishing there recently are welcome to share some knowledge! Maybe see you all In the morning :D

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Who's going to flinders tomorrow morning?

Post by CarlG » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:47 am

Hey mate, long time no see.! How did you end up going.?
We were debating going there this arvo, (On the boat), but the wind was gonna make the drift pretty awkward.
Snapper chase up top instead I reckon.

Jarvi2001

Post by Jarvi2001 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:15 pm

soulstar wrote:G'day lads,

I was thinking of heading down to flinders tomorrow morning (3am) to go catch squid and a potential gummy or 2 haha! Wind will be fresh 34kms/h, though I'll be going on the pier! Picked up 4 nice squid jiggs! Anyone know what colours work best in flinders waters? (Jig 2.5)
Any tips from fisherman that have been fishing there recently are welcome to share some knowledge! Maybe see you all In the morning :D
I'm gonna head out maybe a couple times this week and I go to flinders often. There is a lot of big squid is small numbers.
I usually set up two rods, one with a float and a lot and a long cast, the other just jigging with king George whiting squid jigs or pink ones. There has been a big squid reported there last week so wouldn't be surprised if their pier was full.
Cheers

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:26 pm

***Update***

Hey lads,

Arrived at the pier approx 3am, ready to rumble. My friend bailed last minute however, didn't stop me getting down their. (on no sleep from excitement) I walked down to the end of the pier and made friends with the 4 guys who had started their trek at 10pm. They caught about 6 average size coutta and were biting on pilchards. I, fished down below closest to the end of the pier to use the metal rod holders. I had a dropper rig with coutta as bait (I caught weeks prior) and another rod with pipe and squid baits. Surprisingly the squid baits didn't get touched. Pipies I used were getting smashed however not a good batch which I purchased at 7/11 on the way to flinders. They didn't hold well at all and was difficult to apply.

On the upside, the coutta produced a bit of action considering a baited big pieces. Caught a carpet shark or 7giller, soon after the other lads changed to coutta they caught as bait and soon we were all catching the same species.

Iv read recent reports of them being pests at the moment (so much for the gummies) but surprisingly, as I fished from 3am to 10am not one person got a squid. Whether float or jig NO ONE was lucky enough which is strange for flinders pier. I jogged for a fair while but nothing! Can someone tell me where they are ATM? :)

On the upside KGW were up and about with people hooking up every 4minutes using red worms to shrimp but on the small side. If only I had a few shanks I could have cleaned up too but stupid me had my mind set on the big buggers.

That's my report lads!

soulstar

Post by soulstar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm

***Update***

Hey lads,

Arrived at the pier approx 3am, ready to rumble. My friend bailed last minute however, didn't stop me getting down their. (on no sleep from excitement) I walked down to the end of the pier and made friends with the 4 guys who had started their trek at 10pm. They caught about 6 average size coutta and were biting on pilchards. I, fished down below closest to the end of the pier to use the metal rod holders. I had a dropper rig with coutta as bait (I caught weeks prior) and another rod with pipe and squid baits. Surprisingly the squid baits didn't get touched. pipis I used were getting smashed however not a good batch which I purchased at 7/11 on the way to flinders. They didn't hold well at all and was difficult to apply.

On the upside, the coutta produced a bit of action considering i baited big pieces. Caught a carpet shark or 7giller.

after the other lads changed to coutta, we were all catching the same species.

Iv read recent reports of them being pests at the moment (so much for the gummies) but surprisingly, as I fished from 3am to 10am not one person got a squid. Whether float or jig NO ONE was lucky enough which is strange for flinders pier. I jigged for a fair while but ....nothing! Can someone tell me where they are ATM? :)

On the upside KGW were up and about with people hooking up every 4minutes using red worms to shrimp but on the small side. If only I had a few shank hooks I could have cleaned up too but stupid me had my mind set on the big buggers.

That's my report lads!
Attachments
IMG_6582.JPG

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 pm

That’s a swell shark.

In my experience the squid never go too crazy in rough conditions. But even so you’d expect the odd one off the pier

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:55 pm

If you're near hastening, the tackle shop 'spot on tackle or amazing bait and tackle', near the roundabout next to the hotel have a bait vending machine running 24/7 with berely as well. Stuff in the machine is the exact same quality that they have in the freezers and same price.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 am

The water at Shoreham was pretty dirty on Friday night, chances are it hadn't had time to clear up which probably made it hard for the squid to find your baits
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Jarvi2001

Post by Jarvi2001 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm

soulstar wrote:***Update***

Hey lads,

Arrived at the pier approx 3am, ready to rumble. My friend bailed last minute however, didn't stop me getting down their. (on no sleep from excitement) I walked down to the end of the pier and made friends with the 4 guys who had started their trek at 10pm. They caught about 6 average size coutta and were biting on pilchards. I, fished down below closest to the end of the pier to use the metal rod holders. I had a dropper rig with coutta as bait (I caught weeks prior) and another rod with pipe and squid baits. Surprisingly the squid baits didn't get touched. Pipies I used were getting smashed however not a good batch which I purchased at 7/11 on the way to flinders. They didn't hold well at all and was difficult to apply.

On the upside, the coutta produced a bit of action considering a baited big pieces. Caught a carpet shark or 7giller, soon after the other lads changed to coutta they caught as bait and soon we were all catching the same species.

Iv read recent reports of them being pests at the moment (so much for the gummies) but surprisingly, as I fished from 3am to 10am not one person got a squid. Whether float or jig NO ONE was lucky enough which is strange for flinders pier. I jogged for a fair while but nothing! Can someone tell me where they are ATM? :)

On the upside KGW were up and about with people hooking up every 4minutes using red worms to shrimp but on the small side. If only I had a few shanks I could have cleaned up too but stupid me had my mind set on the big buggers.

That's my report lads!
Hey mate I'm heading flinders tommorrow and gonna throw a float up but also wanna have a go for some KGW. Where abouts were they caught on the pier and was it beneath the pier or a fair cast out?
Cheers,

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Thos sharks will be in plauge proportions now all over westernport.
also those whiting you caught were more than likley grass whiting, which are quite abundant at flinders, they are also top bait for squid when used on a squid spike.
atleast you got out there and had a fish
cheers

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”