Flinders mix catch

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
Toady king

Flinders mix catch

Post by Toady king » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:21 pm

After all my plans went up in flames, I decided to go fishing. Was planning to fish hastenings in my kayak, but the bloke at the tackle shop said I should give flinders ago since im not targeting anything and some nice size KGW are being caught there.
Decide it sounded nicer and less muddy. Got some pipis and off I went. Arrived after a short drive and in my tak I get and away I went. Wind was about 7 knots NW so there was practically no swell and getting out was easy and to my surprise the water was a nice temperature nice enough to swim in.
Anyways, paddle around for about 10 minutes looking for a nice size sand patch of sand Set up and hooks down.
Waited about a whole 5 seconds before something that's the bait. Turns out to be a 15cm grass whiting. Caught about 17 in total ranging from 15cm-27cm. Only kept the 4 biggest 26-27cm which is enough to feed me. Caught about 4 leather jackets (6 Spine and rough) let them all go and I believe to be 2 blue troat wrasse (they had a decent fight, teeth and striped
Attachments
image.jpg
That was the grass whiting after scaling them, forgot to take it before scaling

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Flinders mix catch

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:23 pm

wowee mate. leatheries are way better eaten than grass whiting. grass whiting are a great squid bait if you have a prong. how big were the leatheries?
did you try squidding down there?

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:24 pm

In the end kept 4 grass whiting for dinner and released about 20 fish back. From everyone that was out today seems like there is a big mix of fish out there today, might go back and see what I can get next time :a_goodjob:

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:26 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:wowee mate. leatheries are way better eaten than grass whiting. grass whiting are a great squid bait if you have a prong. how big were the leatheries?
Im not much of a squidder so I didn't bother. Never eaten them so I thought I'd fry them up and have a taste :thumbsup: leathers were decent but not a big fan of them because they're about 90% head so I always chuck them back

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Toady king wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:wowee mate. leatheries are way better eaten than grass whiting. grass whiting are a great squid bait if you have a prong. how big were the leatheries?
Im not much of a squidder so I didn't bother. Never eaten them so I thought I'd fry them up and have a taste :thumbsup: leathers were decent but not a big fan of them because they're about 90% head so I always chuck them back
Ok fair enough on the squid..
Leatheries are awesome mate. Anything over 20 cm are worth eaten. Simply take head off then skin by pulling back down toward tail and fillet. Then take the rib cage out with a v shape and you have a tasty boneless fillet of fish which is lovely either deep fried or on bbq.
I used to eat them whole when i couldnt catch better fish like pinkies sweep and trevally.
Same formula. Head gut and skin. Then knife lacerations either side of body and rub or brush a garlic butter over and cook on bbq. Also lovely

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Toady king wrote:
Ok fair enough on the squid..
Leatheries are awesome mate. Anything over 20 cm are worth eaten. Simply take head off then skin by pulling back down toward tail and fillet. Then take the rib cage out with a v shape and you have a tasty boneless fillet of fish which is lovely either deep fried or on bbq.
I used to eat them whole when i couldnt catch better fish like pinkies sweep and trevally.
Same formula. Head gut and skin. Then knife lacerations either side of body and rub or brush a garlic butter over and cook on bbq. Also lovely
I have eaten them before and do like them but just a bit to lazy to stuff around with them tbh haha

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Nice report and catch.
Well done :thumbsup:

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:11 pm

Lightningx wrote:Nice report and catch.
Well done :thumbsup:
Thank you :cheers:

Geoff Walledge

Post by Geoff Walledge » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Nice catch mate, I was after some Whiting myself on the weekend out of Hastings but all I got was a Bluethroat :(

I will have to check Flinders out as it's probably the closest offshore launch I have and I always hear consistent reports.
Revival 640 "Fisherman"
150hp Mercury Optimax
Lowrance Elite 7 CHIRP Plotter/Sounder
Lowrance Link 5 VHF / GME GR300 27mHz
... all this bling and I still can't catch 'em
:water:
:fish22:

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Geoff Walledge wrote:Nice catch mate, I was after some Whiting myself on the weekend out of Hastings but all I got was a Bluethroat :(

I will have to check Flinders out as it's probably the closest offshore launch I have and I always hear consistent reports.
Well that was my first time out there so im not how good it really is, but from some blokes there said they only use prawns from coles and go well. I was also fishing the sandy patches. Be prepared to lose lots of rigs and struggle to free your anchor :o_0:

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”