Fishing Report Lysaughts Sat 8/10 - Hot Bite!

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
TheGreatestGoat

Fishing Report Lysaughts Sat 8/10 - Hot Bite!

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:47 pm

After a few unsuccessful trips to Port Phillip over the past few weeks, me and the old man (two worst fishermen on earth) were buoyed by the idea of great weather and new pastures (the grass is always greener). Let's go to Western Port! After reading about how to cast sinkers the size of bull's nuts, tides, current, spinning baits, low tide sandbar hazards, we thought, hell it sounds 10 times harder over there, let's give it a crack!

3.30am - Compare western port rigs to online diagrams. Tick. Hook up the boat. We're away.

3.33am - Flat battery. *Expletives*

3.37am - Drive to the servo to buy some jumper leads

3.58am - Realise the battery is fully cooked.

3.58am - 8.30am - Watch re-runs of Rex Hun fishing adventures on Youtube. A few mild LOLs at Rex calling Starlo the human broomstick. Discuss the prospect of a new fishing show called 'Lame Fishing Adventures' with Matt and Bernard

8.31 - Arrive at super cheap auto. Buy a new battery. Install new battery. Check Willy Weather, looking good off Brighton for some Reds. Stuff Western Port, we say.

9am - Wind squalls have picked up, white capping off Brighton. Let's hit up Western Port as planned

10.31 - Get a crap southern chicken wrap from the servo. Duck in to the Hastings fishing tackle store for a report. 15 year old kids reel off photo after photo of quality snapper caught from Kayaks. Their youthful enthusiasm is inspiring but also annoying given that we are doubtful or replicating such feats

11 am - On the water and sounding around Lysaughts for the elusive "arches". Working the channel drop off. Realise after reading 3 books on echo sounders, I still have zero practical experience and don't know what I'm doing. Start seeing things on the sounder, go a bit Tom Hanks from Castaway. That could be an arch? I'm just not sure.

11.31 - 1 Hour till tide change. Executive decision to drop pick despite no arches present.

11.31 - 2pm - A selection of delectable piscatorial delights hit the sea floor. Octopus strips, calamari rings, silver whiting heads. Changed regularly without inquisition.

2.31 - Re-locate to Joes island. Strike!!! Reel starts "slowly" buzzing off the drag. Doesn't look like a snapper (though i've not caught many, so how would i know), but could be an early season tentative enquiry. After 5 minutes of battling the current, no headshakes, we landed our first HUGE clump of seagrass weighing in at 4kg plus.

2.31-4pm - Hot bite on huge clumps of sea grass with a whopping scallop cluster that almost broke my rod!!

4.30pm - Headed in to the recluse of the pub. Had a jar with the old man. Booked in with Matt Cini for a Snapper tuition charter. Discussed how lucky we are to be able to have a boat, go fishing, hang out in the sun as father and son and have a laugh at our own expense.

Will be out again this week with a hope of catching a big one!!

Cheers,
Goat

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Fishing Report Lysaughts Sat 8/10 - Hot Bite!

Post by bowl » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Haha
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Wow what a day lol hopefully you will hook up to a big one this week mate! Good luck :thumbsup:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Had a similar day with the old man on saturday off mornington.
Although no flat batteries and such the fish were few and far between.
Was good to go out anyway.
Better luck next time
Cheers

Gards

Post by Gards » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:24 pm

I must say I was waiting for you to catch something as I was reading.
Hopefully next time!

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 pm

most entertaining donut report i've read. well written man

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Man **** happens.....made me laugh though, so thumbs up for the entertainment value. I'm sure you'll have a better trip next time.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Great report. I literally laughed out loud a few times. Even if your fishing sux you'll still be a literary genius.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:52 pm

arrrrrrrrrrr the memory's in this thanks goat you just made me realize how old i am :rofl: :cheers:
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Lbsnapperhunter

Post by Lbsnapperhunter » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:18 am

Hahaha good on ya mate , awesome story!!!

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”