Point Leo 30/7

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Point Leo 30/7

Post by 4liters » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:50 pm

It's been ages since I've caught a decent fish and with the wind being a p**** for the last few weeks, the minute a window of opportunity opened I was pretty keen to get out there. This time I ws launching from the Point Leo caravan park, there is a decent carp park and some toilets so it's a pretty good spot to start out from. It was a nice if cold morning when I launched, the wind wan't too bad and there was a nice sunrise.

There are a few marks on Navionics nearby, and being just a km or so south of Merricks beach I hoped it might be sheltered enough from the predicted NW wind. I trolled out to one of the marks and picked up a pike before too long. I had some squid jigs but the water was still so murky I couldn't see the bottom in 1m of water and I figured I'd need to hit a squid on the head with a jig for it to notice it so the jigs stayed in the tackle box. Both my normal squidding areas have been dirty for a while now and it is getting a bit annoying.

I made it to the mark and after trying to anchor a couple of times I finally got set up over a big sandy patch that was just screaming whiting but despite burleying pretty heavily I couldn't tempt any. Before long the wind swung around from the north, the yak moved with it and my lines got dragged through the sea grass so I moved again. At the next spot I couldn't get the anchor to hold bottom. After that the wind picked up and it become a bit uncomfortable with the waves breaking over the side of the yak so I pulled up the anchor and headed back in. Turned out a crab or something had taken a liking to my burley and had chewed a hole in the burley bag. I trolled back in, got one hit on the lure but no hook up.

This was the first time I'd tried the new rod holders for bait fishing and apart from the lack of fish I really like them. The Berkley quick set rod holders are a lot easier to use than the Railblaza ones I was using previously, much easier to get the rods out when a fish is putting a load on the rod. Anyway, a big thank you to Cheaterparts for making those up for me, feel free to grab the photo if you want to show it to a potential customer.

Regal Marine were having a sale on so I stopped off there on the way back to pick up more chain for the anchor and a crab proof burley cage.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Point Leo 30/7

Post by barra mick » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Great read.....I see a bloke in perth had a close encounter with a white pointer.

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:01 pm

I think I'd welcome a close encounter with a white pointer right now, all I seem to catch is couta, pike and toadfish.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Nice report 4L. At least you managed to head out and got a pike. Will that turn into gummy baits?

Did you fish in any of the channels?

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:23 pm

seephil wrote:Nice report 4L. At least you managed to head out and got a pike. Will that turn into gummy baits?

Did you fish in any of the channels?
Yeah, I used it for bait today. I'll use the first one for bait and keep the next couple for dinner for various family members. I didn't notice any obvious channels on the sounder, I just tried to aim for the sand patches.

I might head to Werribee tomorrow as the forecast is looking nice for the afternoon. I just need to work out where the squid hang out so I can take a couple for a stroll up and down the river.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Nice report and pics mate :thumbsup:

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”