Balnarring 15/6

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Balnarring 15/6

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:27 pm

I had my last exam yesterday so after spending most of the last 3 weeks either holed up in uni library or sleeping I was itching for a fish. I love fishing mid week, driving past all the cars backed up on the Monash in the morning almost makes up for being a broke uni student.

I'd been meaning to check out Balnarring for a while now, a few nice bags of whiting have come out of there recently and as always you're a chance at a gummy down there. It was freezing bloody cold but I'd put on 3 layers of thermals under my wetsuit and had overpants and a spray jacket which took the edge off it. My new Lavacore socks were good too.

I launched right on sunrise and as I made my way out I started trolling a couple of little silver lures in the hope of getting a few pike for gummy bait. Turned out one of the lures dived a bit deeper than I was expecting and was quickly sacrificed to that horrible weed you find in that part of the world. Also turned out I'd left my scissors at home so tying on a new leader was a p****. However with a new lure and new leader I was underway and soon got onto a smallish pike. That was quickly followed by a double hookup. I wanted one more so I could take a couple home and see what they tasted like and soon I had a fourth sitting in the yak.

After that it was time to find a spot to anchor up and do a bit of bait fishing. I'd been told that south of the launch there was a big sandy patch but I'm still no good at using my sounder to determine the type of seafloor and predictably I ended up in a big patch of weed that ate a couple more rigs. I did pick up a decent LJ and a goatfish.

After a while I moved to a mark on navionics hoping that I might find a sandy patch there, which I did. I probably spent an hour anchored up but all I caught was a skate. By then it was mid afternoon and time to head back in.

I had thought about chasing some squid but I could hardly see them bottom on knee deep water so I gave that idea away pretty quickly. I think it might be because of all the weed on the beaches breaking down or something, Shoreham was really dirty too about a month ago and I struggled to find the squid.

The lack of gummies and whiting was a bit disappointing but it was just good to get back out onto the water. I'm in two minds whether or not to go back, it seems pretty similar to Shoreham except I know Shoreham better and can usually pick up a gummy at a spot I know near there.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Balnarring 15/6

Post by Boonanza » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Good report & pics :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Brrrrr ! too bloody cold for yakking this time of year... good on ya for getting out there..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Nice report mate.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Great day to be on the water, nice pike

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:07 pm

Well done Ian! Good to get out there after exams

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:07 am

Top effort 4l. I was out squiding from corinella also, water was way dirty, only 4-5' visability. Only managed 3 for the whole day and not a touch from a whiting.

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:39 am

Well worth it man....great work
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:21 am

hornet wrote:Brrrrr ! too bloody cold for yakking this time of year... good on ya for getting out there..
Just sprinkle a bit of cement on the cornflakes in the morning. That, and lots of thermal underwear
poodoo wrote:Well done Ian! Good to get out there after exams
**** oath it was. I was starting to go crazy sitting inside 7 days a week.

I'm going to turn the pike into Thai fish cakes (recipe shamelessly stolen from here: http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1082 ) and I'll put the LJ, goatfish and some leftover prawns into a Thai red curry
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:31 am

4liters wrote:
hornet wrote:Brrrrr ! too bloody cold for yakking this time of year... good on ya for getting out there..
Just sprinkle a bit of cement on the cornflakes in the morning. That, and lots of thermal underwear
poodoo wrote:Well done Ian! Good to get out there after exams
**** oath it was. I was starting to go crazy sitting inside 7 days a week.

I'm going to turn the pike into Thai fish cakes (recipe shamelessly stolen from here: http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1082 ) and I'll put the LJ, goatfish and some leftover prawns into a Thai red curry
My kids actually love pike and wrasse im wondering if it is because they don't have a strong fish taste and are soft. Be interested to see how the fish patties go I'll try that next time.

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”